Resources and Compliance Statements

On This Page

Resources and Compliance Statements

State and Federal Alcohol and Drug Laws

State Law

Connecticut has enacted laws that prohibit the sale, gift, offer, and illegal possession of various types of drugs. These state laws mandate minimum prison sentences, including five years for the manufacture, distribution, sale, gift, offer, or possession with intent to sell any of the following by a non-drug dependent person:

  • one ounce or more of heroin, methadone, or cocaine;
  • one-half gram or more of cocaine in a free-base form;
  • five milligrams or more of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD);
  • any narcotic, hallucinogenic, or amphetamine-type substance (for first-time offenders);
  • one kilogram or more of cannabis-type substance, including marijuana (for first-time offenders).

A conviction of any of the aforementioned offenses involving a minor or occurring within close proximity to an elementary or secondary school, housing project, or day care center elicits even harsher sanctions. These penalties include mandatory sentences in addition to the above mandatory sentences:

  • Two years for the distribution, sale, offer, or gift of any controlled substance to a person under 18 years of age, as long as the provider is at least two years older than the recipient;
  • Three years for the manufacture, distribution, sale, transport, possession with intent to sell, dispensation, offer, or gift of any controlled substance within 1,500 feet of an elementary school, housing project, or day care center;
  • Three years for employing, hiring, using, persuading, inducing, enticing, or coercing a person under 18 years of age to violate a drug-related statute.

In addition to the aforementioned laws regarding the manufacture and distribution of drugs, Connecticut has enacted strict penalties for the illegal possession of drugs. First-time offenders may be sentenced up to seven years in prison and/or fined not more than $50,000 for the possession of any quantity of a narcotic, including cocaine, morphine, or heroin. Possession of any quantity of a hallucinogen, such as LSD, or of four ounces or more of marijuana, may result in a sentence of up to five years in prison and/or a $2,000 fine. One year in prison and/or a $1,000 fine is authorized for the possession of less than four ounces of marijuana or any quantity of other controlled substances, such as amphetamines or barbiturates.

A conviction for the possession of drugs within 1,500 feet of an elementary or secondary school or day care center will result in three years of imprisonment. This penalty is in addition to any other penalties and consecutive to any other terms of imprisonment that may be imposed.

Connecticut has also enacted laws regarding the distribution, possession, and consumption of alcohol. One such law prohibits the sale, shipment, delivery, or gift of alcoholic liquor to a minor. The penalty for this crime includes up to 18 months in prison and/or a fine of not more than $1,500. Any person who induces a minor to procure alcohol from an authorized seller of alcohol faces up to one year imprisonment and/or a fine not to exceed $1,000. Furthermore, a fine of between $200 and $500 and/or 30 days imprisonment may be imposed for using a fake or altered personal identification, using another person's identification, or making a false statement in connection with the attempt to purchase alcohol. Any minor who possesses alcohol in a public place may be fined between $200 and $500, unless that minor is accompanied by a guardian or spouse at the time of possession or possesses the alcohol by order of a physician.

Connecticut has also enacted drunk driving laws that are strictly enforced. Individuals may not operate a vehicle when they are under the influence of any drug or alcohol. A person may be convicted if he operates a motor vehicle while having an "elevated blood alcohol content," which means a ratio of alcohol in the blood of .08% or higher, by weight. A first conviction for driving under the influence mandates a fine of between $500 and $1,000, imprisonment of between 48 hours and 6 months, of which 48 hours is a mandatory minimum, and suspension of driving privileges for one year. Subsequent conviction of driving under the influence within 10 years after a prior conviction for the same offense could result in fines of between $1,000 and $4,000, imprisonment of 120 days to two years, of which 120 days is a mandatory minimum, and suspension of driving privileges for three years.

Laws are constantly enacted and revised. Recent revisions and additions to the Connecticut General Statutes may be found online at Students should refer to this resource, as well as the Connecticut General Statutes, for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Federal Law

The United States has enacted drug trafficking laws and penalties, which are contained in Title 21 of the United States Code. These laws impose sanctions (outlined below) for the manufacture, distribution, possession with intent to manufacture or distribute, and simple possession of drugs.

These penalties may be doubled when any of the aforementioned acts are committed within 1,000 feet of an elementary, secondary, or vocational school; a college, junior college, or university; or a playground or public housing facility. The penalties may be doubled if the act is committed within 100 feet of a youth center, public swimming pool, or video arcade. Penalties may also be doubled when an individual over the age of 18 distributes drugs to a person under 21; employs, uses, induces, or coerces a person under 18 to violate federal drug laws or to assist the individual to avoid detection for his own violations of federal drug laws; or receives drugs from a person under 18 who is not an immediate family member.

Penalties may be tripled if an individual over 21 years of age coerces a person under 18 to distribute, possess with intent to distribute or manufacture, or assist the individual to do the same, a drug within 1,000 feet of an elementary, secondary, or vocational school; a college, junior college, or university or playground or public housing facility. Penalties may be tripled if the act is committed within 100 feet of a youth center, public swimming pool, or video arcade.

Distribution of a drug by one who is over 18 to a person under 18 can result in a prison sentence of up to five years and/or a fine of not more than $50,000. Finally, conspiracy to commit any of the above drug-related offenses carries the same penalties regardless of whether the conspiracy is successful.

Updates regarding federal drug trafficking laws can be found at the Drug Enforcement Agency's website at

Finding Help with Regard to Alcohol, Drugs, Eating Disorders, or Gambling

There are many resources where students can seek help. Following is a list of University offices and other organizations that can help students with questions about or problems with alcohol, drugs, eating disorders, and gambling.

The extent of drinking and drug use on campus varies widely, and many college students do not abuse alcohol or drugs. Nevertheless, alcohol and drugs are part of many college environments, and when coupled with other risky behaviors, can be problematic for students. There are many resources both on campus and off where students can find assistance for these issues.

University Resources

Counseling & Psychological Services *
Jogues Hall
203-254-4000, ext. 2146

Fairfield University Substance Abuse Program includes substance abuse assessments and group experiences
203-254-4000, ext. 2146

Campus Ministry *
Egan Chapel of St. Ignatius Loyola
203-254-4000, ext. 2550

Office of the Dean of Students
Barone Campus Center, 4th floor

* On-call 24-hours a day, seven days a week for emergencies, and can be reached through the Department of Public Safety at 203-254-4090.

Off-Campus Resources

Fairfield Counseling Services
125 Penfield Road
Fairfield, CT 06824

Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Alcohol Addiction Center

Health care professionals from the Health Center and Counseling & Psychological Services develop and oversee an individualized treatment plan and a range of integrated services for students with Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, compulsive overeating, over-exercising and body image concerns. Services include individual therapy, medical monitoring (vital signs, weight, blood work) nutrition counseling, psychiatric assessments, medication management, and community referrals.

University Resources

Eating Disorder Treatment Team
Counseling & Psychological Services
203-254-4000, ext. 2146

Student Health Center
203-254-4000, ext. 2241

Off-Campus Resources

Call Counseling & Psychological Services at 203-254-4000, ext. 2146 for local referrals

Gambling can lead to significant problems and even addiction. Signs of problem gambling include gambling alone, minimizing and concealing the extent of gambling, or arguing with family members about financial difficulties. Help is available for problem gambling. Treatment options may involve a combination of individual/group therapy, family therapy, financial recovery counseling, and/or psychiatric medications. Sufferers can reduce the role of gambling in their lives and learn to cope with their problems more productively.

University Resources

Counseling & Psychological Services
Jogues Hall
203-254-4000, ext. 2146

Off-Campus Resources

Positive Directions
420 Post Road, West
Westport, CT 06880
203-227-7644, ext. 126

Gambler's Anonymous
Hotline: 1 855-222-5542

Connecticut Council on Problem Gambling
100 Great Meadow Road, Suite 704
Wethersfield, CT 06109

Help Line: 800-34-NOBET

Fairfield University is committed to the Jesuit understanding of education as a process that involves the transmission of knowledge and the formation of character, both in the classroom and outside of the classroom.  Student organizations and teams recognized by the University can provide students with tremendous opportunities for learning and growth.  However, students should never be subjected to hazing as a condition for seeking to join, holding membership, or affiliating with a student group at Fairfield University.

The University encourages students to make use of appropriate on-campus resources and will assist all persons involved in an allegation of hazing.  Each office is prepared to offer assistance to students both in an emergency and on an on-going basis.  Additionally, students are encouraged to explore the many web resources dedicated to educating the public on hazing.

Confidential Resources On-Campus

  • Counseling & Psychological Services 203-254-4000, ext. 2146
  • Student Health Center 203-254-4000, ext. 2241
  • Jesuit community/Clergy 203-254-4000, ext. 2664

Private/Non-Confidential Resources On-Campus:                              

  • Public Safety 203-254-4090
  • Director Title IX and Equity 203-254-4357
  • Office of the Dean of Students 203-254-4211
  • Human Resources 203-254-4000, ext. 2227
  • Campus Ministry 203-254-4000, ext. 3405
  • Office of Residence Life 203-254-4215
  • Athletics 203-254-4000, ext. 3466
  • Club Sports 203-254-4141
  • Jeremy Kaler, Associate Director, Office of Student Engagement
    Phone: 203-254-4000, ext. 2175
  • Thomas Murray, Associate Professor Economics and Faculty Athletics Representative
    Phone: 203-254-4000, ext. 2270

Off-Campus Resources

  • Fairfield Police Department : 911 or 203-254-4800

Online Resources

Under the Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act, colleges and universities produce statistics and/or information on the following subjects: (1) retention and graduation rates; (2) financial assistance available to students; (3) crime statistics on campus; (4) athletic program participation rates and financial support pursuant to the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act; and (5) other institutional information, including cost of attendance, accreditation information, services available to students with disabilities, and withdrawal /refund policies. Information relating to the items contained in this last subparagraph is available generally in this Handbook, or through online resources on the University website. The following describes information and resources available to students seeking to access such information:

Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act

In compliance with the Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act of 2000, members of the Fairfield University community can visit the following website maintained by the Connecticut State Police for information concerning registered sex offenders:

Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act

The Drug Free Schools and Campuses Act of 1989 requires the University to provide information to students about the health risks and legal consequences of substance abuse. This information, as well as the University's alcohol and drug policies, are outlined in the Student Conduct Code and the appendix of this Handbook.

Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act (EADA)

In accordance with the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act, information regarding the intercollegiate athletics program is available for review upon reasonable advance request of the director of athletics.

Graduation and Retention Rates

Graduation and retention rate data appear in the Fact Book which is posted on the University website and are available from the Office of Institutional Research. 

Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) contains federal reporting and disclosure requirements. In order to make this information readily available, Fairfield University has created a webpage to provide access to this information.

Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act

Fairfield University complies with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. This report contains a summary of Department of Public Safety policies and procedures along with crime statistics as required. A copy of this report may be obtained at the department office in Loyola Hall, Room 2, or by calling the department at 203-254-4090.

The Department of Public Safety is open 24 hours per day, 365 days a year. The University is in compliance with the Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act (PL 103-542).

Non-Discrimination Statement

Fairfield University adheres to all federal and state civil rights laws and regulations prohibiting discrimination in private institutions of higher education. Fairfield University does not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, student, or applicant for admission.  For additional information, please refer to the Non-Discrimination and Harassment Policy.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Annual Notice

In accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) as amended, Fairfield University provides the following notice to students regarding certain rights with respect to their educational records. FERPA rights apply to students "in attendance" (regardless of age) and former students. For purposes of the University's FERPA policy, a student is considered "in attendance" the day the student first attends a class at the University. That is the day that the FERPA rights described in this policy go into effect for the student.

The rights afforded to students with respect to their education records under FERPA are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed. While students have the right to inspect and review their academic records and, in general, have the right to transcripts of their academic records, the University reserves the right to refuse to provide transcripts of academic records for reasons such as nonpayment of financial obligations.  
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write to the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

    1. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (including but not limited to, an attorney, auditor, collection agent, or a provider of e-mail, network or other technological services (such as Google/Gmail); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

    2. FERPA does make exceptions for disseminating information to students' parents or legal guardians, including if the student is under 21 years old and the disclosure concerns the student's violation of University policy concerning the possession or use of alcohol or a controlled substance.

    3. FERPA permits the non-consensual disclosure of personally identifiable information from education records in connection with a health or safety emergency.

    4. FERPA permits the non-consensual disclosure of education records in compliance with a lawfully issued subpoena or court order.

    5. Another exception that permits disclosure without consent is the disclosure of directory information, which the law and Fairfield University define to include the following: a student's name, home address including e-mail address, telephone number, date and place of birth, visual image (photographs), dates of attendance, major and minor, enrollment status, class year, degrees/awards received, other institutions attended, and weight and height information for members of athletic teams.

      This exception related to directory information is subject to the right of the student to object to the designation of any or all of the types of information listed above as directory information in his or her case, by giving notice in writing to the University Registrar on or before September 15 of any year. If such an objection is not received, Fairfield University will release directory information when appropriate.

    6. Another exception that permits disclosure without written consent is disclosure to another school where the student seeks to enroll, intends to enroll, or is already enrolled (if related to enrollment or transfer). No disclosure of academic progress will be made to those outside the institution, including parents, without the written consent of the student.

  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, DC 20202-4605

Questions regarding FERPA and the procedures followed by Fairfield University to comply with FERPA may be referred to the Office of the Dean of Students. Information about FERPA can be found online.

Financial Aid Policies

Policies and procedures pertaining to all forms of financial assistance are established and published by the Office of Financial Aid, as set forth in the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalogs and posted on the University website.

Peer-to-Peer File Sharing

Peer-to-peer file sharing, which is defined here as the use of Fairfield University's computer network to illegally download or share any copyrighted material, including but not limited to video, music, or games is strictly prohibited. The distribution or sharing of copyrighted materials without the copyright owner's permission is a violation of the U.S. Copyright Act and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 and is also a violation of Fairfield University's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).

Additionally, the programs that are used to share these files impede network traffic and can do harm to the entire network. The music and motion picture industries have taken legal action against students who share files of copyrighted materials illegally. Fairfield University is not a party to such legal action, but as a provider of the network service on which such illegal activity may take place, the University is required to comply and will comply with all lawful warrants, subpoenas, and court orders. In the typical circumstance, this will involve the University receiving information regarding a specific user's alleged violation, either in the form of a letter or subpoena. If lawfully issued, the University will pass this information on directly to the student with instructions for the student to respond to the allegations directly to the complainant.  The University will also take separate action under its own policies for any instances of illegal downloading or file sharing. Sanctions can include, but are not limited to, restrictions on the student's use of the University network. Students with questions about downloading or file sharing are encouraged to contact Information Technology Services.

Tuition and Fees

Policies and procedures pertaining to the payment of tuition and fees are established and published by the Office of the Bursar, as set forth in the undergraduate and graduate online catalogs posted on the University website.

Grievance Process Complaints

Fairfield University endeavors to resolve all grievances, complaints, and disputes in a timely and fair manner. In the event a student believes a complaint remains unresolved after the conclusion of Fairfield University's grievance and/or dispute resolution processes (including all appeals), the student may request that the complaint be reviewed by the State of Connecticut Office of Higher Education. The Office of Higher Education is responsible for quality review of independent colleges and will investigate complaints concerning matters within its statutory authority.

For more information or to file a complaint, contact the Office of Higher Education, 450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 707, Hartford, CT 06103-1841; 860-947-1801;

Fairfield University is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). Students may contact NEASC at 3 Burlington Woods Drive, Suite 100 Burlington, MA 01803; 855-886-3272;


Search Results