On This Page
All full-time undergraduate, graduate, and second degree nursing students will be enrolled in, and billed for, the University-sponsored health insurance policy, unless the student is already enrolled in a comparable health insurance plan. If the student already has health insurance, a waiver must be completed in order for a credit to appear on the student’s bill.
The waiver period for the 2023-2024 academic year is now closed. The deadline to waive was Tuesday, September 19, 2023.
For assistance and inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In early July, once your bill is issued by the Bursar’s Office, you will be able to verify that the waiver and subsequent credit has been successful:
- Log on to my.Fairfield.edu
- Search “Online Billing and Payment – Student” and then select “Launch”
- Select “View Current Activity, Fall 2023”
You will see the initial charge for the student health insurance plan; students who have submitted the waiver will see a corresponding credit, which may take up to two business days following submission to appear. Please note that the credit appears in the charge column, not the payment column.
Fairfield University requires that all full-time undergraduate students (domestic and international) maintain or purchase a health insurance policy. Under Fairfield University's “hard waiver” program, these students will see a charge of $2,646.00 on their tuition bill for a health insurance policy for the 2023-2024 academic year. However, if the student has access to comparable or better health insurance through other means (e.g. parents' coverage), and does not wish to be enrolled in the University sponsored plan, the student must complete an on-line waiver to provide proof of coverage. Students completing the waiver to decline the University sponsored plan will receive a full credit on their tuition bill. International students cannot waive the University-sponsored health insurance coverage.
Full-Time Graduate, Doctoral & Second Degree Nursing Students
Fairfield University requires that all full-time graduate, doctoral, and second-degree nursing students (domestic and international) maintain or purchase a health insurance policy. Under Fairfield University's “hard waiver” program, these students will see a charge of $3,930.00 on their tuition bill for a health insurance policy for the 2023-2024 academic year. However, if the student has comparable or better health insurance coverage through other means (e.g. parents, spouse) and does not wish to be enrolled in the University-sponsored plan, the student must complete an online waiver to provide proof of coverage and will receive a full credit for the policy on their tuition bill. International students cannot waive the University-sponsored health insurance coverage.
The University’s health insurance requirements and “hard waiver” program only applies to traditional, first degree undergraduate students, full-time graduate and doctoral students, and students enrolled in the second degree nursing program. Voluntary enrollment in the University sponsored health insurance plan is not available to part-time students at either the undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral levels. Alternatives to consider in order to maintain health insurance coverage while attending Fairfield University include:
- Coverage under a parent’s employer insurance plan: For those under age 26, you may qualify to enroll as a dependent on the health insurance plan held by a parent.
- Individual coverage through your state insurance marketplace: Coverage is available for individual enrollment through the insurance marketplace in the state in which you are a permanent resident. Visit healthcare.gov and complete the questionnaire to view plans that you may qualify for. Depending on your household income, you may also qualify for a subsidy for coverage purchased through your state marketplace.
- Individual health insurance plans available on the open market (outside of the official state marketplace).
To qualify for the waiver, the student's health insurance policy must meet or exceed the coverage provided by the University-sponsored plan. The policy must also be written and filed in the United States. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Student Health Insurance Plan Features
- Fully compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Annual deductibles: $250 In-Network and $500 Out-of-Network
- Coverage at 80% In-Network & 50% Out-of-Network
- In-Network Physician’s Office visits covered at 100% after a $40 copay
- Preventive care services with no deductibles, copays or coinsurance (In-Network Only)
- Students will be able to locate providers whether at home, school, or throughout the country through the Cigna PPO Network
- Retail or mail order prescription drug coverage
- Worldwide Travel Assistance including Medical Evacuation, and Repatriation, and Political & Natural Disaster coverage
- Wellness discounts including Vision and Dental
- Voluntary Dental Insurance available for all students regardless of Student Health Insurance enrollment
For a complete description of the benefits available, limitations and exclusions, and FAQs please visit www.gallagherstudent.com/fairfield.