Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Domestic Students:

Fairfield University requires all full-time domestic undergraduate students maintain or purchase a health insurance policy. Under Fairfield University's "hard waiver" program, full-time undergraduate domestic students* are automatically enrolled (and billed), each July, in its sponsored health insurance policy for the upcoming academic year. A charge for this policy appears on the domestic student's tuition bill. Rates will be available by mid-April and the link to waive the insurance and review the policy information will be available to review. However, if the domestic student has access to comparable or better health insurance through other means (e.g. parents' coverage) and does not wish to be enrolled in the University sponsored plan, the domestic student must complete an online waiver to provide proof of coverage. Students completing the waiver to decline the university sponsored plan will receive a full credit on their tuition bill.       

*The University's health insurance requirement and "hard waiver" program only applies to traditional, first degree undergraduate students (it does not apply to Second Degree Nursing students)

The waiver will be available by mid-April when we have the rates for the new policy year. 

The deadline for waiving/declining the insurance is August 2, 2018. 

International Students:

Fairfield University requires all full-time undergraduate and graduate international students to purchase the University sponsored health insurance policy. The University enrolls each international student in its sponsored health insurance policy for the upcoming academic year. A charge for this policy appears on the student's tuition bill. International (VISA holding) students are enrolled on a mandatory basis and cannot waive coverage. 

To View Policy Details: Please visit

Questions? Regarding insurance contact Gallagher Student at (800) 397-2874 or visit their website at

Domestic Graduate Students:

The University is not able to offer health insurance or access to the health center to domestic (US) graduate students. If you need health insurance, here are a few options:

  1. Individual coverage through your state insurance marketplace: Coverage is available for individual enrollment through the insurance marketplace in the state in which you are a permanent resident. Visit and complete the questionnaire to view plans that you may qualify for. Depending on your household income, you may also qualify for a subsidy for coverage purchased through your state marketplace.
  2. Coverage under a parent’s employer insurance plan: For those under age 26, you may qualify to enroll as a dependent on the health insurance held by a parent. Please contact the employer for further details.
  3. Individual health insurance plans available on the open market (outside of the official state marketplace).

Search Results