On This Page
The Center for Social Impact facilitates connections between focused academic learning and meaningful community-engaged projects that address needs identified by community members.
We provide support to faculty for:
- Course design and implementation
- Community partnership development
- Community-engaged scholarship
- Course/project logistics (scheduling, transportation, etc.)
Community-Engaged Learning Course Development Grants
Grants are available for faculty interested in developing a new community-engaged learning course or transforming an existing one. Grants can also be used to spearhead departmental plans for integrating community-engaged learning into the curriculum. The call for applications is announced in January of each year, with a deadline in early April.
2019-2020 Course Development Grantees
- Dr. Uma Balaji, Chair, Electrical Computer and Bio Engineering Department, Associate Professor, School of Engineering. Course Title: EG 260: Robots. Community Partner: Wakeman Boys and Girls Club
- Dr. Laura McSweeney, Associate Professor, Mathematics and Co-Director of the Mathematics Center. Course Title: MA 397/398: Math Internship. Community Partner: Fairfield Woods Middle School.
- Dr. Yasin Ozcelik, Chair & Associate Professor of Information Systems & Operations Management, Dolan School of Business. Course Title: IS 260: Database Systems. Community Partner: School Volunteer Association of Bridgeport
- Dr. Tanika Eaves Simpson, Assistant Professor, Social Work, Egan School of Nursing and Health Studies. Course Title: SK 303: Social Policy and Social Justice. Community Partner: Alpha Community Services.
- Dr. Tiffany Wilgar, Professor of the Practice, Core Writing and Assistant Director of Core Writing, English Department. Course Title: ENW 100: Introduction to Rhetoric and Composition. Community Partners: Geraldine Claytor Magnet Academy & Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo
Community-Engaged Scholarship and Conference Opportunities
Community-Engaged Learning Associates (CELA)
Other Faculty Resources