Women Sweep St. Peter's
The Fairfield University women's tennis team improved to 2-0 in conference play last Saturday with their 7-0 sweep over Saint Peter's University.
The Stags clinched the doubles point to start the day with three 8-2 victories. In the one spot, Monica Yajima and Carolina Koladzyn defeated Alex Livingston and Jowiesa Williams. At No. 2 doubles, the duo of Sharissa Ryan and Allison Radde took on Adina Halagian/Ivana Grbecja while Victoria Pirrello and Nikki Jackson beat the pairing of Vanessa Vogel and Jessica Nowogrodski.
Fairfield took the momentum straight into their singles matches. In the six spot, Jackson never let up a game to her opponent while Ryan in the two spot breezed by Halagian, 6-1, 6-0. Radde and Koladzyn, in the three and four spots respectively, took their matches in two straight sets. Yajima and Pirrello each went three sets with their matchups. At No. 1 singles, Yajima dropped the first set but came back strong dropping her opponent, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2. In the five spot and closing out the day, Pirrello defeated Vogel after losing a long first set, 6-7(4), 6-4, 10-6.
The Fairfield women's tennis team will next take the court in Stamford, Conn. as they face Seton Hall on Saturday, March 2 at 7pm.
1. Yajima/Koladzyn (FFD) def. Livingston/Williams (SPU) 8-2
2. Ryan/Radde (FFD) def. Halagian/Grbecja (SPU) 8-2
3. Pirrello/Jackson (FFD) def. Vogel/Nowogrodski (SPU) 8-2
1. Monica Yajima (FFD) def. Alex Livingston (SPU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Sharissa Ryan (FFD) def. Adina Halagian (SPU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Allison Radde (FFD) def. Jowiesa Williams (SPU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Carolina Koladzyn (FFD) def. Ivana Grbecja (SPU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Victoria Pirrello (FFD) def. Vanessa Vogel (SPU) 6-7(4), 6-4, 10-6
6. Nikki Jackson (FFD) def. Jessica Nowogrodski (SPU) 6-0, 6-0