22 – 30
On This Page
Why Get An MS In Management at the Dolan School of Business?
Fairfield’s Master of Science in Management (MSM) program is designed for non-business majors and provides recent college graduates with fundamental business knowledge and focused career development. The goal of the program is to enable candidates to flourish in a variety of jobs, or to start their own business. The Master of Science in Management is designed to complement students’ undergraduate degrees in order to lead to jobs and careers that utilize their passions and ambitions. This business knowledge looks to provide a bridge to increased career opportunities in the corporate, nonprofit and government sectors.
Fairfield Dolan’s Master of Science in Management provides students who have completed non-business degrees – in everything from Art History and English, to Chemistry and Physics, Communication and Psychology, Engineering and Economics, and more – with the skills and knowledge of essential business practices. The MSM is a cohort program beginning each summer. Students will progress through a prescribed curriculum in a one-year, full-time experience. Currently, the program is structured as an online degree program designed to ensure that students acquire the 21st century skills needed to work in a fast-paced global environment.
MSM Versus MBA
- The MSM focuses on early career students who have been working for a short time, or have no full-time work experience. These individuals want to gain advanced skills, or perhaps change from a non-business to a business field.
- The MSM program is an attractive financial alternative to a traditional MBA by offering a high quality business education in just 30 credits and one year of study for non-business majors.
- The MSM encourages critical thinking coupled with an introduction to functional business areas. Alternatively, an MBA curriculum assumes that candidates enter class with a certain amount of practical experience and acumen.
- The MSM allows candidates to pursue a business discipline as novices and complete the program with the coveted combination of liberal learning and business education.
- The Global Immersion Experience* allows students the opportunity to study for one week in a selected country with their cohort and faculty advisor during spring break. This immersion allows students to experience cultural contrasts, appreciate business practices of international companies, and to expand their perspective and understanding of the global economy. The University continues to closely monitor COVID-19 and related travel restrictions. If the Global Immersion Experience is impacted we will adjust accordingly as our students’ health and well-being is our top priority. *Please note: additional fees for the Global Immersion Experience may apply.
- The Capstone Entrepreneurship course requires students to develop a new business concept, conduct competitive market analysis, forecast sales and net revenues, devise a go-to-market strategy and present their strategy, receiving valuable and actionable feedback.
- Career development opportunities and activities are a signature element of the MSM program:
- We are one of the only programs to offer a course right in our curriculum schedule, taught by the head of our Career Development center in Dolan.
- A Program advisor works directly with students as well, providing industry insights and key advice on how to best position themselves for career and job opportunities.
- Our advisors also help student think through their career and job options ahead, with the addition of an MSM degree to their undergraduate achievements.
The Fairfield Dolan Experience
Leanne De Los Santos
Assistant Dean of Graduate Programs
Program Director, MS Management
Professor of Management
Fairfield Dolan Rankings
Master of Management Students at a Glance
22 – 30
Undergraduate Majors: Economics, Political Science, International Studies, Communications, Mechanical Engineering
Requirements & Curriculum
|Introduction to Accounting|
|Analytics Programming for Business|
|Principles of Microeconomics|
|Statistics for Business|
|Principles of Finance|
|Law and Ethics for Critical Reasoning in Business|
|Human Resource Strategies: An Analytics Approach|
|Negotiations and Dispute Resolution|
|Global Competitive Strategy|
|Marketing in the Digital World|
A detailed list of course requirements, offerings, and more can be viewed in the University’s course catalog.
Applications are considered on a rolling basis. The MSM is a cohort program beginning each summer semester.
Fairfield Dolan offers merit-based graduate fellowships that provide substantial financial support towards the cost of tuition. In addition, students who qualify can apply for a competitive scholarship that covers much of the cost of attending. Admitted students are eligible to apply for a limited number of entrance scholarships. These one-time awards are applied to offset the cost of the first semester of study. As these are very competitive, it is best to apply early if you wish to be considered for this form of support.
Please contact Leanne De Los Santos at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Latest MS in Management News
Fairfield Dolan Graduate Programs Globally Ranked Among Top 25 Best Value for Money
Fairfield Dolan was recently included in the 2023 QS Specialized Master’s rankings for Best Value for Money. A first for the Dolan School, QS ranked Fairfield’s MS in Business Analytics program #22 Best Value for Money in the world, #17 Best Value for Money in the U.S., and #49 in the U.S. overall. Dolan's MS in Management program ranked #17 Best Value for Money in the world, #10 Best Value for Money in the U.S., and #22 in the U.S. overall.
More About Master of Science in Management
Career & Professional Development
A 2017 study by America’s Small Business Development Centers states “more than 13 million Millennials cite not knowing where to go for help to start or run a business as the #1 reason that keeps them from starting their own business.” Our MSM program is designed to provide candidates with the skills needed for a successful business career. Students will use their passions to develop a new business concept through our entrepreneurship capstone experience
QS Top Universities cites growing career opportunities available to candidates who earn a MS in Management. These roles include:
- Management consultant
- Project manager
- Social media manager
- Business development manager
Today's graduate student must be prepared with skills to last a lifetime of job searches and career shifts. Fairfield Dolan’s close partnerships with nationally recognized companies and successful alumni will open the door to top notch learning opportunities and lifelong connections. Whether students are looking to start their careers, advance their careers within their current organizations, or pivot to another career, Fairfield Dolan will provide students with the necessary skills and resources needed to succeed.
95% of Fairfield Dolan graduate students are employed within 6 months of graduation.
Engaged Alumni Network
Alumni play a significant role in the mentoring and advocacy of current students by helping our students gain industry or company insight through informational interviews, mentorship, and more.
Diversity and Inclusive Excellence
As a Jesuit, Catholic university, Fairfield is dedicated to diversity and inclusion; to radical hospitality in service of racial, social, and economic justice.
Executive Series and Leadership Opportunities
Complementing Fairfield Dolan’s traditional pedagogical mission is a series of diverse and distinctive events designed to enrich graduate student coursework including the Dolan Lecture, Dean’s Executive Forums, Fairfield StartUp Showcase, and Professional Development Series Events.
Fairfield Dolan’s 80,500 square foot, $40 million facility gives Fairfield business students every advantage they need to make them future ready.
We invite you to view the Dolan Update, a year in review of Charles F. Dolan School of Business News.
Head of HR
ExodusPoint Capital Management
Business Development Executive
Global Technology Services
VP of People and Culture
Inspira Marketing Group
Cerberus Capital Management
University Recruiting Lead
Palais Impact Advisors,
Former SVP of Goldman Sachs
Director of Brand Marketing
Director of U.S. Business Analytics
Faculty & Administration
Fairfield University’s Charles F. Dolan School of Business boasts experienced faculty who teach students the fundamentals, ethics, and new developments in business on a local and global scale.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. The MSM is designed for candidates with non-business majors.
The program is completed in one year.
- Traditional: 14-week
- Accelerated: 7-week
- Summer: 7-week accelerated
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis for a summer semester start.
No. The GMAT/GRE exam is not required for applicants to the MSM program. Candidates are welcome to supply a GMAT or GRE score report if they feel it will enhance their application.
Yes. We are working to achieve SEVIS approval in order to issue I-20s for international students requiring an F-1 visa.
For information, please contact Assistant Dean of Graduate Programs Leanne De Los Santos at email@example.com or 203-254-4000 x3219.
For curriculum information, please contact Lisa Stafford, director of the MSM program and instructor of the practice, management, at firstname.lastname@example.org.