Policies and Procedures

On This Page

Policies & Procedures

Policies and procedures governing life in the student residences are outlined in the Student Handbook. Policies specific to residential life are contained in the Residential Guidelines section. Students can request a copy of the Handbook from the Office of the Dean of Students or access it on the University's website

Health and Safety Inspections: A Quick Guide


Bed Lofting Form
For students living in Gonzaga and Loyola Halls who wish to have their beds lofted in one of five different configurations.

Commuter Request Form
For full-time undergraduate students of the University who wish to change their status from resident to commuter. In order to qualify for commuter status, student must be residing full-time with a parent or guardian and living within 35 miles of campus.

Graduate Student Housing
For information regarding graduate student housing please visit our Graduate Student Housing page.

Guest Pass
All guests must be registered with the University by a University student. After filling out the Guest Registration Form, you will receive an e-mail to confirm your guest has been registered. Please print the confirmation letter and have your guest carry it and a proper photo identification while visiting campus. If your guest is bringing a vehicle, this letter will also serve as their vehicle registration. Please print a second confirmation and visibly display it on the vehicles dashboard. It is the residents responsibility to find housing for guests on floors of their guest's gender. Guests attending University events may be charged a fee to participate. Guests may not remain on campus for more than three (3) days and the University student is responsible for the guests behavior as outlined in the student handbook.

Housing Application
For all non-first year students wishing to reside on campus, including commuters and readmitted students. First year and new students should use this link to complete their housing application.

Individual Responsibility Form
If there is any damage to a living space, the responsible person must identify him/herself with this form, specifically citing the damage and its location. If any damage is found and no one claims responsibility, the charge will be distributed equally among all occupants of the living space.

Housing Policy Exception Request
This form should be completed by students who have a qualifying physical or psychological need which may influence housing assignment after they have registered with Disability Support Services.

What to Bring to Campus

What not to bring is equally as important as what to bring. Therefore, students, especially freshmen, are strongly encouraged not to bring everything on move-in day that they think they might need during the course of the year. Family & Homecoming Weekend and scheduled holidays provide additional opportunities to bring back personal items.

In addition to what you normally would wear every day, here are a few clothing items to bring:

  • One or two dressy outfits and shoes for more formal affairs
  • Work-out clothes and shoes
  • Bathing suit
  • Light jacket
  • Rain gear
  • Winter coat and accessories (for the cold winter months)

Personal Care
Students will be sharing bathrooms and laundry facilities with other students.

  • Bathrobe
  • Shower shoes
  • Towels and washcloths
  • Soap and/or body wash
  • Shampoo
  • Shaving cream and razors
  • Small bucket for carrying shower things
  • Facial tissues
  • Laundry basket/bag
  • Laundry detergent
  • Dryer sheets
  • Dishwashing detergent
  • Band-Aids


  • Acne cream
  • Antacid
  • Antibiotic cream
  • Bandages
  • Cold medicine
  • Contact lens solution
  • Cotton balls
  • Cotton swabs
  • Cough drops
  • Eye drops
  • Health insurance card
  • Pain reliever (ibuprofen, acetaminophen)
  • Prescription medication
  • Sunscreen
  • Vitamins
  • Non-mercury thermometer

For School

  • Computer (laptop, with lock, recommended)
  • Storage device (Flash Drive/Memory stick) for the computer labs
  • Binders, folders, paper, pens, pencils
  • Dictionary, thesaurus
  • Backpack/bookbag
  • Calculator
  • Personal planner

Students should consult with their roommate(s) about who is bringing what. Rooms will not accommodate multiple TVs, stereos, or other large items. The following is a list of suggested, not required, items.

  • Comforter/bedspread
  • Pillow
  • Bed linens for an extra long twin bed
  • Clothes hangers
  • Drinking glass/mug, a few dishes/bowls, and utensils
  • Poster putty for hanging up decorations
  • Plastic containers with tight lids for storing snacks, detergent, etc. under beds or on top of wardrobe/closet (stackable containers are also good)
  • Headphones (so your music does not bother others)
  • UL-approved power strip
  • Desk lamp or bed lamp
  • Small TV and Roku device (Philo Edu replaces legacy coax cable connections)
  • Fan
  • Hair dryer
  • Alarm clock
  • Paper towels, tissues, and a few cleaning supplies
  • Sewing kit, scissors, safety pins
  • Message board for your door

Good Things to Have
Think about your daily activities and hobbies and bring what you need.

  • Access to money (i.e., bank account, bank card, credit card, etc.)
  • Umbrella
  • Key ring
  • Camera
  • Batteries
  • Flashlight
  • Sports/recreation equipment (also available for check-out at the RecPlex)
  • Snacks for your room

What Not to Bring

The following items are not permitted in the residence halls and several are not permitted in the townhouses or apartments. Unapproved items will be confiscated and result in a discussion with Residence Life staff. Repeat offenses will result in referral for student conduct review and action. Questions about specific items should be directed to the Office of Residence Life. This list is not meant to be all-inclusive.

  • Halogen bulbs and/or lamps
  • Hotplates
  • Toasters
  • Toaster ovens
  • Electric frying pans
  • "George Foreman" or similar-type grills
  • Microwave ovens and refrigerators (only the University-issued micro-fridge is permitted)
  • Air conditioners
  • Mercury thermometers
  • Candles
  • Pets (other than fish in a container no more than 10 gallons)
  • Water beds
  • Smoke machines or fog machine
  • Routers, Switches, and Wireless Printers: The entire campus has wireless access. Wi-Fi enabled printers will not work wirelessly on campus, but will still work when attached via a USB cable.

Housing Assignments & Selection

Housing assignments at Fairfield are generally conducted by a lottery and priority system. Seniors are at the top of the priority list, followed by juniors, sophomores, and freshmen. While absolute guarantees can be difficult, it is safe to assume that seniors will get their first choice of housing. Juniors have a good chance as well. Sophomores will have a range of options including applying to at least one of our five residential colleges. View a full description of each residential college. First-year students are randomly assigned to one of our first year communities based on their housing preference form.

First Years

Incoming first-year students are asked to submit basic information about themselves. The housing preference form is sent out to incoming students during the first week of May. First-year students are assigned to rooms based on a variety of factors, including gender, a request for a special theme floor, and the University's mission to create as diverse a living community as possible. For example, students with unique talents (e.g., varsity athletes, scholars, etc.) will not be not housed together in one area. Housing for first-year students is available in certain portions of Jogues Hall. Campion Hall, Gonzaga Hall, and Regis Hall are reserved completely for first-year students. They are housed together in order to promote class unity and identity and facilitate specific programs tailored uniquely for them.


Toward the end of their first year at Fairfield, students who will be sophomores participate in a housing lottery process. At present, students can live in Jogues Hall, Loyola Hall (Ignatian Residential College), Kostka Hall, 42 Bellarmine Road, and 70 McCormick Road.  Students select their roommate or pair of roommates and have the option of selecting rooms on a space-available basis. It may be necessary for some sophomores to be assigned housing over the summer as additional space becomes available from students finalizing study abroad plans and the final size of the freshman class is determined.

Again, sophomores are able to select their roommates and generally progress to residence halls that are either exclusively sophomore or have high concentrations of sophomores living near and with one another.

Juniors and Seniors

Seniors are assigned housing first and are able to participate in lottery processes for residence hall rooms, townhouses, apartments, or a release to off-campus housing. Seniors generally have the option of selecting townhouses, apartments, or off-campus residency. The off-campus lottery is completed first, generally during the spring semester so that students who are not released can make alternate plans. For the townhouse and apartment lotteries, students form groups of an appropriate size and enter the lottery as a group. Those groups can then select which individual unit they choose to live in, in lottery number order.

Juniors participate in the same basic process as the seniors. However, they do so after the seniors, and their options for townhouses and apartments may be limited based upon the selections of the senior class. For example, the University releases approximately 400 students to live off campus. Therefore, if seniors take all of these slots, juniors will not have this option in a given year. Approximately 30% of the junior class lives in one of the two suite-style residence halls - Kostka Hall and Claver Hall.

Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below are questions frequently asked of our staff by new or current students and their families.

Do you have first-year student residence halls?
Yes, all first-year students live together. Currently, first-years are assigned to live in Campion Hall, Gonzaga Hall, Regis Hall, and Jogues Hall, Loyola Hall.

Are the student residences co-ed or single-sex?
All residence halls are co-ed, either by wing, floor, or suite. Individual townhouse and apartment units are single-sex.

What amenities are provided in the room?
All rooms have campus network connections for each resident assigned to that room.

What about laundry facilities?
Each residence hall, except for Kostka and Claver Hall which share one facility in Kostka Hall, is equipped with a laundry facility. Each resident student is given an allotment of wash/dry cycles per semester (e.g., two wash/dry cycles per week) and utilize their StagCard to activate the machines. Laundry cycles beyond the allotment amount can be paid for with StagBucks.

What size linens are needed for the beds?
Almost all beds have extra-long mattresses so students should purchase extra-long twin sheets. For more information, contact the Office of Residence Life.

Can we bunk the beds in our room?
Yes. On move-in day, there will be extra frames available to allow students to bunk, loft, or elevate their beds. Some frames require the assistance of maintenance staff. In those cases, students can inform their RA of their request and maintenance staff will come to the students' rooms during the first week or two of the semester.

When will I find out my room assignment?
First-year students receive their room assignment and roommate(s) information at the beginning of August. There may be a need for the Office of Residence Life to change a particular room assignment and students will be notified individually if this occurs. Students should contact their roommate(s) after receiving this information to introduce themselves and determine who will bring what items, in particular those that will be shared (e.g., telephone, television, rug).

What if I don't get along with my roommate?
Communication and consideration are the key elements in a successful roommate relationship, and it may take a couple of weeks to develop a rapport. Resident Assistants are trained to facilitate and are a good resource to help facilitate discussions. Room changes are not permitted during the first three weeks of the semester to allow roommates enough time to establish a working relationship.

What is my mailing address?
The Office of Student Engagement (Orientation and First Year Experience) sends incoming students their mailbox assignment and mailing address in August, along with other information about moving in and the Orientation program in September. Following is the format to address all incoming mail:

Student Name
Box (insert assigned number)
Fairfield University
1073 North Benson Road
Fairfield, CT 06824

Do I need to be on a meal plan?
Yes, all students living in one of the nine residence halls must purchase and participate in a meal plan. For students who live in the Townhouses or Village Apartments the meal plan is optional. Contact Dining Services for more information.

Where do students eat?
The main dining hall is located on the fourth floor of the Barone Campus Center. Additional cash locations (which accept Dining Dollars and StagBucks) include the Stag snack bar and Einstein Bagels. John's Best Pizza in the Levee is independently managed and accepts only StagBucks.

What are "Health and Wellness" floors?
Fairfield University's policies reflect the laws of the State of Connecticut. Therefore, in most cases, residence halls should be free of alcohol and/or other drugs. In addition, it is state law and University policy that smoking is prohibited in student residences. However, we also sponsor special, "Health and Wellness " floors for students who not only intend to adhere to University policy but also agree that alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs will play no part in their lives or impact the residential community. The Health and Wellness community also strives for students to have a completely healthy lifestyle which includes programs with the University Nutritionist and special access to fitness classes at the RecPlex. First Year Students may apply to live in this living and learning community. Students are required to sign an agreement pledging to adhere to the expectations of the floor and may be reassigned to another room for violating that agreement.

Do people stay on campus during the weekends?
Absolutely! Fairfield is a place where students stay on campus during the weekends. Planning by the Fairfield University Student Association (FUSA), Office of Student Engagement, Office of Residence Life, Recreation Department, Athletics Department, Quick Center for the Arts, other student clubs and organizations, plus access to the local town and New York City and New Haven areas, ensure there are always things to do.

How are the buildings secured?
All outside doors are locked 24 hours a day. Students have access to the residence halls with their StagCard. Students can access any residence hall from 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. After hours, they can access only their own residence hall. Each townhouse unit has an exterior door or doors, therefore, there is no card-access to the townhouses. Card access is necessary to gain entry to the Apartment Complex. There is a call box outside each building for students who wish to visit other students and need to be let into the building.

The best safety precautions students can and should take are not to allow unknown individuals to enter buildings, not to prop open doors to buildings, and to lock their rooms or townhouses/apartments whenever they leave them and when they go to sleep at night.

What is the smoking policy in the student residences?
We are a Tabacco Free Campus, 100% indoor and outdoor campus-wide tobacco-free environment. Fairfield University supports this mission and will take steps to foster a healthy environment and promote awareness of health risks associated with tobacco.

What are "quiet hours"?
Quiet hours have been established to help create an environment that is conducive to sleeping and studying. Quiet hours are 8 p.m. to 10 a.m. on weekdays, and midnight to 10 a.m. on weekends. At all other times, residents are expected to be considerate of their neighbors, and noise from the room should not enter the corridor.

What do I do if I lose my key?
Residents should report lost keys to a staff member immediately so that a lock change may be completed. The student's account will be charged for the lock change, and all occupants of the room or townhouse/apartment will receive new keys.

What appliances can I bring to campus?
Please check the list of what to bring for suggested as well as prohibited items.

Is there storage space available?
Fairfield does not provide or have available storage space for student belongings during holidays, semester breaks, or over the summer. During the academic year, students must store all their belongings in their room, townhouse, or apartment, and all furniture provided by the University must remain in the room, townhouse (except for the basement), or apartment unless removed by maintenance staff. Therefore, students should plan on bringing only what is necessary.

What do I do if some of my personal belongings get damaged?
The University does not assume responsibility for loss of property or damage to personal belongings. All residents are advised to consider personal property insurance and check with their family's homeowner's insurance policy for possible coverage.

How do I report a maintenance problem?
Students are encouraged to submit their own Work Orders by completing this online form. For emergency maintenance needs requiring immediate attention, residents should contact the Office of Residence Life during normal business hours and Public Safety outside of normal business hours.

Report Laundry Machine Problems

Need to report a broken washer, dryer, or laundry room card reader? You can report the problem at Mac-Gray's LaundryLinks service.

If prompted, the password is: stags

If you have any questions regarding this service, please contact the Office of Residence Life at (203) 254-4000 ext. 4215.

Search Results