January Orientation

On This Page


Welcome to your new home! Your Fairfield journey begins on Monday, January 13, 2020. Residential new students can check into the Office of Residence Life, located in the Barone Campus Center Lower Level, room 96, and get settled in their rooms between 9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.

Orientation for all new students will begin at 2 p.m. Attendance at Orientation is highly encouraged and will run from 2 - 9 p.m. on Monday, January 13 and will resume at a.m. on Tuesday, January 14.

Online New Student Checklist

Below is a list of items to be completed from the online New Student Checklist. Remember to use your University NetID credentials to access the checklist. It may take up to 48 hours after claiming your NetID to have access to the checklist.

  • Download "Fairfield University" application on your mobile device (if able)
  • Complete StagAlert Information (Emergency Notification System)
  • Register for New Student Orientation (attendance is essential)
  • New Student Housing Application
  • Parent/Guardian Information Form
  • Accessibility: Complete a New Student Intake Form (optional)
  • Honor Code Signing
  • Immunization/Student Medical Report Form
  • Proxy Access for Financial Aid and Bursar Information (optional)
  • Awarding of Advanced Placement, IB, or College Credit
  • Language Placement Exam
  • Student Handbook Acceptance
  • Student Code of Conduct Quiz
  • Register your Device(s)
  • Sexual Assault, Alcohol and Other Drugs, and Hazing Prevention Online Education Courses
  • Login & Explore Life@Fairfield

Parent/Guardian Checklist

Parents/Guardians can assist students with the following checklist items:

  • Parent/Guardian Information Form: The information shared facilitates parent/guardian involvement. For example, Student Affairs produces a monthly electronic newsletter especially for parents and guardians. The Campus Currents - Parents e-newsletter keeps parents/guardians apprised of general campus news and events. Parents/Guardians will automatically begin receiving the newsletter provided they submit their e-mail information.
  • Request for Reasonable Accommodation Based on Disability (optional): Fairfield University is committed to providing qualified students with disabilities an equal opportunity to access the benefits, rights and privileges of its services, programs and activities in an accessible setting. In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act and Connecticut state laws, we provide accommodations to qualified students with disabilities to reduce the impact of disabilities on academic functioning or upon other major life activities. Fairfield University also recognizes the need for accommodations when a student is suffering from a temporary impairment and will work to provide accommodations to the student should the temporary impairment impact academics or other major life activities. 
  • Immunization Requirement/Medical Report Form: Students must complete the Immunization Requirement Form and have it filed with the Health Center prior to the start of classes. Immunizations, which are mandated by Connecticut state law, are highlighted on the Immunization Form for full-time undergraduates. Students may not move into a residence hall or begin classes until all immunization requirements are met. This form is required prior to students' arrival on campus.

New Student Guide

The New Student Guide is created to assist students during their first semesters at Fairfield. This book will serve as a 'go to' resource for everything Fairfield. It is packed with information regarding buildings on campus, academic planning, action items, office locations, and contact information. When you receive it, read the booklet thoroughly as it will help greatly with your transition and any questions you may have.

New Student Move-In Information

New students move-in is scheduled for Monday, January 13, 2020. Room keys will be available in the Office of Residence Life located in the lower level of the Barone Campus Center. (Visit the last page of your Guide for suggestions about what to bring to campus.)

Commuter Students should also plan to come to campus on Monday, January 13, 2020 at 2 p.m. for Orientation activities.

New Student Orientation Schedule

Orientation is essential for all new students. Orientation occurs Monday, January 13, 2020 and Tuesday, January 14, 2020 and allows new students to connect with each other and the Fairfield community before classes begin. A detailed orientation schedule will be available towards the end of December.

FAQs & Next Steps

I have paid my enrollment deposit and now I would like to register for classes. How do I go about doing this?

Transfer Students- To register for classes, please contact your academic Dean’s Office to schedule an appointment. If the semester has concluded, please be sure to have the final transcript sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admission in advance of your conversation for their reference. At this meeting, students will discuss any questions regarding their credit evaluation and register for classes for the upcoming semester. Direct contact information for the academic Dean's Office can be found in your letter of admission and we encourage students to reach out shortly after receiving an enrollment confirmation from our office.

New Students- To register for classes, please contact the Office of Academic Support and Retention to schedule an appointment.

How many courses will I have to complete in order to graduate from Fairfield University?

In order to earn a bachelor’s degree, Fairfield University requires that students to complete a minimum of 120 credits; sixty of those credits must be earned at Fairfield. Students will discuss this further at their initial meeting with an academic dean.

I see that certain courses have been accepted as “non-core” classes on my transfer credit evaluation but there is a note that you also need a syllabus. Why is that?

Fairfield will sometimes request a syllabus even if a course has been selected as an elective in order to further evaluate the class for credit. We encourage students to submit these syllabi via email to transferadmis@fairfield.edu as soon as possible, ideally in advance of your meeting with your academic dean. Once syllabi are received, they will be reviewed by the appropriate department chair if necessary.

I have courses under review on my preliminary credit evaluation. When will I know if those courses have been accepted for credit at Fairfield?

Once enrolled at Fairfield University, students will schedule a meeting with their academic Dean's Office to receive academic advising and to register for classes. In advance of this meeting, please send the requested syllabi for the particular classes to transferadmis@fairfield.edu. This will allow deans and department chairs an opportunity to review the additional information prior to the scheduled meeting. During the advising meeting, students will speak with an academic dean about these courses and discuss whether they will be accepted for credit at Fairfield University.  

I received a 4 or a 5 on an AP Test while in high school, but I don’t see that reflected on my Preliminary Transcript Evaluation. What should I do about that?

If students have not yet done so, they should contact College Board directly and have them send an official score report to Fairfield University. Once the scores are sent and received by Fairfield, students can discuss what they can count toward with their academic dean.

When should I expect to hear from the Office of Financial Aid if I applied for need-based aid?

If students have already completed both the FAFSA and the CSS Profile, they should hear from the Office of Financial Aid within approximately two weeks of receiving your admission decision. If students have specific questions, please contact the Office of Financial Aid directly at (203) 254-4125.

Will there be additional ongoing support for me as I transition to Fairfield University?
Absolutely! There are a multitude of on campus resources available to all of our matriculated students.  In addition to meeting with the student's academic dean to register for classes, the Office of Academic Support and Retention is always available to assist students. The Office of Academic Support has advisors to help students continue to explore our various majors and find a variety of programming to help with academic transition, including study skills sessions and subject specific tutoring. The Office of Accessibility and Career Center support students during their academic journey. Additionally, the Math Center and Writing Center are available to students. All resources are available by appointment.

Additionally, new students will be registered for a “New Student Experience” course, which meets throughout the first semester and has both a professional staff member and current students serving as mentors. The goal of the New Student Experience program is to CONNECT students with each other, faculty, staff, and the University; to INSPIRE excellence during this transitionary period; and for students to THRIVE holistically as they acclimate to being a part of the Fairfield University community.

I initially indicated that I would not need housing, but I actually would like to live on campus. Who should I contact?

If students have yet to confirm their enrollment at Fairfield University, they can contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission at transferadmis@fairfield.edu. If students have already confirmed that they will be attending in the spring, please contact the Office of Residence Life directly as soon as possible to let them know of this change of status. Housing is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis so the sooner this change is communicated with them, the more likely they will be able to accommodate this request. The best way to reach them is through email at residencelife@fairfield.edu.

Does Fairfield University require any proof of immunizations?

Yes, the Fairfield University Student Heath Center requires that students submit a confidential health history to document proof of immunizations which are required by Connecticut state law. Additional information can be found at www.fairfield.edu/immunization.

Who should I contact if I still have questions, but I’m not sure which department would be most applicable?

If students or families have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Engagement at (203) 254-4000 ext. 4053 or at orientation@fairfield.edu. We’re happy to answer your questions, or point you in the right direction.

Search Results