Concerned About A Friend

On This Page

Concerned About A Friend

Have you noticed changes in your friend that worry you? Do you feel like your friend's issues are overwhelming for you? Do you feel like you don't know what to say anymore or how to help your friend? Maybe it's time to call Counseling or Psychological Services. Our services are private and confidential.

How you can help:

  • Call or come to Counseling to get advice about how to approach your friend.
  • Suggest your friend make an appointment to see a counselor. Sometimes it helps to walk your friend to our office. (Dolan Building, Suite 120, next to the Health Center.)

What if this is a Crisis:
(You are worried about your friend's safety or the safety of another person.)

  • During office hours - Call Counseling immediately (203) 254-4000 ext. 2146.
  • Evening or weekends - Call Public Safety (203) 254-4090. The On-call counselor will be contacted.

Warning signs that your friend may need help:

  • Withdrawing from friends or activities
  • Chronically missing classes or decline in interest in academics
  • Major sleep or appetite change
  • Deteriorating hygiene and overall self-care
  • Irritability; frequent arguments and conflicts
  • Binge drinking or drug use
  • Self-injurious behavior
  • Excessive worry, anxiety, fear, or panic
  • Loss of energy, motivation, interests
  • Risky sexual activity
  • Mood swings
  • Feelings of hopeless, worthlessness, and/or thoughts of suicide
  • Expression of thoughts about dying or suicide

How to show your friend that you care:

  • Tell them when you are worried about them.
  • Listen to them when they come to you asking for help.
  • Support them in finding help and solutions.
  • Know when it is time to ask for help from the Counseling staff.

Counseling & Psychological Services is a free, confidential service.
We are here to help.

(203) 254-4000 ext. 2146 |

Search Results