Emergency Procedures

On This Page

In Case Of Emergency

Our main objectives in our study abroad programs are not only students’ academic success, but also their continued safety. The Office of Study Abroad is in constant communication with our partners overseas, Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) and the U.S. State Department.

We want to support our students as they make such an important and personal decision. We invite students to speak with our office should they have any questions or concerns. We will work with students to ensure that their study abroad program fits their academic goals, that the location meets their personal interests and needs, and that they understand our safety procedures and risk management protocols.

For students going abroad, and their parents, please find below important safety information and frequently asked questions:

Emergency Contact information

  • Fairfield University Public Safety: 203-254-4090
  • Fairfield University Study Abroad: 203-254-4332, studyabroad@fairfield.edu

International Insurance Policy

Fairfield University provides all students studying abroad with international medical and emergency insurance coverage for the dates of their study abroad program. Federal law requires all students to maintain domestic year round coverage in the U.S. even while the student is studying abroad. This means, students should remain enrolled on the policy of their parent or guardian,  or in Gallagher Student Health Insurance through Fairfield University (or on their home universities domestic coverage plan) while on their program abroad.

Students enrolled in all Center Program will be automatically enrolled in CISI Health Insurance from the start date to the end date of your study abroad program. This insurance program is included in the program fee, and there is no additional cost. This coverage does not replace your primary insurance but does provide extensive medical and emergency coverage.

To learn more information regarding your Fairfield University coverage with CISI, visit www.culturalinsurance.com/fairfield_U. The student's Studio Abroad account will have complete details on international insurance.

Where do I find out about travel advisories and current conditions?

Best Practices for Traveling Abroad

Who To Contact

Your first point of contact while your student is abroad is Fairfield University’s Public Safety office 203-254-4090.  They will provide you with the most update to date information available as well as log your concern and disperse to the appropriate contact.

The students’ first point of contact while abroad in case of emergency is the on-site coordinator. Upon arrival, students will receive the coordinator’s contact information. Though your student may reach out to you first, please encourage your student to immediately contact his/her on-site coordinator.

Power Of Attorney

Medical Power of Attorney

Students should consider having a medical power of attorney prior to studying abroad. A medical power of attorney allows a student to assign an individual to speak on their behalf in the event the student is not able to make decisions for themselves. Students should consider connecting with a family lawyer to move forward with this process.

Legal Power of Attorney

Students should consider having a legal power of attorney prior to studying abroad. A legal power of attorney allows a student to assign an individual to make decisions on their behalf while they are abroad, specifically with regards to their finances. Students should consider connecting with a family lawyer to move forward with this process.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) provides for the confidentiality of student educational records at Fairfield University. Fairfield University may not disclose information in a student’s educational records to anyone without the permission of the student, unless disclosure is permitted by an exception set forth in FERPA, 20 U.S.C.A., Sec. 1232 et seq.

Following approval of your students’ study abroad application, your student will be given the option to complete a FERPA Release Form or to withhold that permission. By completing the form, the student is granting permission to Fairfield University officials to disclose and/or discuss the information authorized by the student on their FERPA Release form. Students are not required to submit a FERPA form; it is the student's discretion to decide whether or not they want to provide Fairfield University with this information.

For students who elect not to complete the FERPA Release Form, Fairfield University and the Office of Study Abroad will be unable to relay certain information to parents or guardians. In cases of emergency abroad, including hospitalization and student status during national emergencies, Federal law does allow Fairfield University and the Office of Study Abroad to release necessary information to parents or guardians.

A sample FERPA form can be found here:

As a reminder, all FERPA forms must be completed by the students online following their approval to study abroad.

Questions regarding FERPA and the procedures followed by Fairfield University to comply with FERPA may be referred to the Office of the Dean of Students. Information about FERPA can be found online at www.ed.gov/offices/OM/fpco.


Please Review the “How Best to Prepare For Terrorism” Guide provided by iJET a premier Risk Management firm known and respected within the Study Abroad community.


Search Results