Federal Work Study

On This Page


Federal work-study (FWS) is a program funded by both the federal government and Fairfield University that provides part-time employment to undergraduate students who have significant financial need. Eligible students have an opportunity to earn money to help with educational expenses while gaining valuable professional experience in University or community service jobs.

Frequently Asked Questions: Eligibility

Who is eligible for federal work-study?

Undergraduate, full-time students* with significant financial need, as outlined in federal and institutional awarding policies, may be eligible for federal work-study (FWS). Eligible students are notified in a financial aid award letter from the Office of Financial Aid.

How is eligibility for FWS calculated?

Eligibility is calculated using the results from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), in combination with institutional guidelines. FWS awards, similar to all other federal financial aid sources, are NOT guaranteed from one year to the next.

What do I do if I am eligible for FWS?

Students interested in FWS eligibility should:

  • Meet all application deadlines and submit all required documents (for employment and financial aid verification)
  • Acknowledge receipt of a final award notification of approved FWS (if eligible) from the Office of Financial Aid
  • If you are eligible for Federal Work Study, you will need to log into your my.Fairfield account for more information on the application and hiring process.

*Graduate and part-time students are not eligible for FWS due to limited funding.

If I am not eligible for FWS, what jobs are available?

There are a variety of University offices and facilities that offer part-time employment to students. Students can inquire directly with offices such as RecPlex, Athletics, Student Services, library, bookstore and dining services for information on job availability. Graduate students can review the University's available graduate assistantships.

Frequently Asked Questions: Jobs

What types of jobs are available?

Federal work-study jobs may be available in office administration, research, athletics, lifeguard, mentoring, tutoring, science laboratory assistance, community service, media, theatre, and many other areas. There are also limited off-campus community service agencies that provide FWS employment. These positions are associated with private, non-profit organizations, public agencies or community service, where the work performed is in the public interest.

How do students search for jobs?

Students have both the opportunity AND responsibility of finding and securing their FWS job. Typically, job listings become available during mid-summer for each academic year. Students can begin the job search once jobs are posted and available to apply.

Community Service Agency Information

Community agencies interested in Fairfield's Federal Work-Study program can write to the program administrator at fws@fairfield.edu.

Search Results