Help Current Stags Explore Careers
Fairfield’s Alumni Job Shadow program matches juniors and seniors with alumni and parents for career conversations during winter break (Jan. 3-13). Students have an opportunity to receive valuable advice, learn about various professions, and make new connections. For hosts, the program is a chance to support today’s Stags in their career exploration.
Career conversations can occur with one or more students, either in-person or virtually:
Register today at https://jobshadow.fairfield.edu/ and help today’s Stags plan for their futures after Fairfield! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Schedule time for a student to visit your office for a half day or full day
- Set up a video call for an informational session
- Meet for a conversation over lunch
- Invite your fellow alumni colleagues to join you
Fairfield alumni have so much to offer today’s students! We hope that alumni from all industries will volunteer as mentors so we can match all students who register for this rewarding, impactful program.
Whatever your field, you’ll have the opportunity to introduce careers, industries, and share your own personal career experiences.
Students are interested in learning about:
- Finance* (investment banking, corporate, financial services)
- Media Production
- Medical Professions
- Public Health
- Public Relations
- Sports Management/Marketing
*Alumni needed in engineering, finance, marketing, and nursing. If you work in those fields, please consider participating this year.
||Alumni will receive an e-mail with a link to the online registration page.
||Complete a profile form and register to host one, two, three, or more students at your organization.
||Matched alumni mentors will be notified of the student(s) who will shadow them. (Alumni who are not matched will also be notified. Matches are based on students’ choices of location and industry).
||Alumni and students make arrangements to connect.
Typical Shadow Day
To help ensure a successful Job Shadow experience, we recommend alumni share in advance an itinerary of what you anticipate the Shadow Day to be like.
You may choose to have the student(s) in person for a full day, half-day, or lunch meeting. You can also schedule a virtual meeting or series of meetings. Whether meeting in person or virtually, you can follow these suggestions.
- Share how you decided on your major and career direction
- Talk about the courses and activities that helped prepare you for your career
- Review your career path since graduating from Fairfield
- Discuss potential career paths within your organization and the industry
- Schedule time with Human Resources to talk about future opportunities and hiring trends
- Present a typical work day
- Talk about some of the projects and tasks you are working on
- Have the student join you for client and internal meetings
- Tour your organization’s facility or talk about your hybrid work environment
- Review the student's resume
- Assign a brief project relevant to their career interests or major
- Schedule time for Q&A
Juniors & Seniors
Job Shadow is an opportunity for juniors and seniors to learn about a typical day on the job by accompanying Fairfield alumni through their workday, in person or virtually.
Students begin to understand the skills and attributes necessary to succeed in a particular field and gain a realistic picture of the everyday aspects of a workplace.
Students from all majors participate in Job Shadow, including marketing, finance, psychology, biology, communication, engineering, nursing, media and film production, information systems, and international studies.
Typical Job Shadow Day
The format and schedule varies, but a typical Job Shadow day may include:
- In person or virtual opportunities to learn about employees’ activities during their workday
- Informational interviews with the Fairfield alumna/nus host and other employees
- A tour of the workplace
- An opportunity for a resume review with the alumna/nua
Companies participating in Fairfield’s Job Shadow program have included:
- Albany Medical Center
- Bank of America
- Baystate Health
- Boston Children’s Hospital
- Boston College
- Fairfield University
- GE Digital
- Godiva Chocolatier
- Inspira Marketing
- NBC Sports Group
- Northwell Health
- Omnicom Health Group
- WFSB TV
||Juniors and seniors will receive an e-mail from the Career Center with a link to the online registration.
||Complete the online application that will assist in matching students to an opportunity based on career interest and location.
||Students must participate in a mandatory Orientation Workshop to learn about the program goals and procedures, and how to prepare for the Job Shadow experience.
||Contact the alumni mentor directly to arrange for your Shadow Day experience.
There is a mandatory, brief Orientation that students attend prior to the job shadow experience.
Following are some tips for a successful in person or virtual Job Shadow:
Prior to the Job Shadow visit...
- If students are matched, they are expected to participate in the program. If, for any reason, students cannot participate after being matched, notify the Career Center immediately so we can match another student.
- Contact the alumni mentor to schedule a convenient Job Shadow date within three days of your match notification.
- Research the organization and prepare a list of questions to ask the alumni host.
- Update your resume.
- Be sure to respond to all correspondence from the alumni mentor in a timely manner.
- Plan transportation and allow plenty of time for traffic, etc.
During the Job Shadow visit...
- Bring a padfolio with a notebook, pen, and copies of your resume.
- Dress and speak professionally.
- Arrive on time (or 5 minutes early).
- Ask if your alumni match can review your resume.
- Spend the day actively listening, learning, asking relevant questions, and taking notes.
- Ask for business cards of anyone you meet with during the day so you can follow up with them.
- Take some photos of you and your alumni host in front of a company sign and during other activities.
After the Job Shadow Day
- Send a thank you note to your alumni host and anyone else you met during the Job Shadow day.
- E-mail photos to email@example.com so we can create an album.