Student FAQs

On This Page


I need my PIN to register for classes. Where can I get it?
Full-time undergraduate students and some graduate students require a PIN for online registration. A student requiring a PIN should contact their academic advisor.

When is add/drop?
Students can add and drop classes during the first 5 class days of the semester. After the 5th class day of the semester, a student would receive a W for the class. Full-time undergraduate students need to ensure they are registered for the minimum of 12 credits to remain full-time.

How much money will I get back if I drop a course?
Full-time undergraduates will not receive any credit to their financial account. Part-time undergraduate and graduate students should refer to the Refund schedule available from the Office of the Bursar.

How do I drop/withdraw a class?
After the add/drop period, full-time undergraduate students should contact the Dean's Office of the school they are enrolled in (not the department that teaches the class). All other students should contact the University Registrar's Office in person or by fax. Requests to drop/withdraw classes will not be accepted over the phone.

Can I take an online class?
All full-time undergraduate students are eligible to enroll in one online course per semester without needing prior Dean’s Office approval. First-year students may not enroll in online courses during their first semester. 

Part-time students are not restricted to one online course. Exceptions to the one-course limit for full-time students may be made only in extenuating circumstances and must by vetted through the academic dean.

Please be aware that some online courses are condensed (only five, six, or seven weeks in duration) and therefore rigorous. Online courses often have “irregular” start and end dates (sometimes beginning at the halfway point of the semester). As with semester-long lecture-based courses, class enrollment is firmly capped, and availability may be limited.

Can I register for classes over the phone?
All students can now register for classes online at Students other than Full-time Undergraduates must submit their payment when registering.

How can I print my schedule?
A student's schedule is available to print on my.Fairfield.

How long does it take for me to get my money back for a class I dropped or withdrew from?
The Office of the Bursar will refund any money due back to the student in 4-6 weeks.

I need a receipt for my tuition payment.
Full-time undergraduate students should contact the Office of the Bursar. All other students should contact the University Registrar's Office.


I need a letter saying I am enrolled in school. Where can I get that?
Students can stop into the University Registrar's Office and fill-out a Verification Letter form (PDF), print and fax it to the University Registrar's Office. If a student has a specific form that needs to be filled out (i.e. for insurance), it can be dropped-off or faxed to the University Registrar's Office.

How do I get a copy of my transcripts?
Information on ordering transcripts can be found on the transcript page.

How can I get my student loan payments deferred?
The University Registrar's Office submits an enrollment report to the National Student Clearinghouse approximately two-weeks after the start of a semester. The National Student Clearinghouse then sends enrollment information to most lending companies. If you find that your loan provider did not receive any type of information, please contact the University Registrar's Office.

Am I a full-time student?
Undergraduate students taking 12 or more credits and graduate students taking 9 or more credits are considered to be full-time.


How do I change my major?
Students can download and fill out the Major Change form (PDF) (also available on and then take it to their Department Chair for processing. Note: A minimum GPA is required to switch into some majors.

How do I add a major or minor?
Students can download and fill out the Major Change or Minor/Concentration Application form (PDF) (also available on and then take it to their Department Chair for processing.

How do I drop a major or minor?
Students need to come to the University Registrar's Office and request that their major or minor be dropped.

How do I know what classes I still have to take for my program?
Students can run a degree evaluation, which is available on my.Fairfield. This evaluation will show what requirements have been met and not met for the completion of the program.

Did you get my grades from my summer course taken elsewhere?
Students would need to speak to their current Dean. It is the Dean's decision whether any courses taken outside of Fairfield University may be accepted for credit.

My transfer credit doesn't show in the correct category on my degree evaluation. How do I get that changed?
Students would need to speak to their current Dean to have any adjustments made.

How do I withdraw from the University?
Students need to speak with their current Dean about the withdrawal process.


Where can I find information about graduation?
Visit the Commencement website.

How do I apply for graduation?
All students can apply to graduate via my.Fairfield. Applying to graduate is mandatory.

When do I have to apply for graduation?
Emails are sent to students when the application is available. The academic calendar will have the deadlines listed for submitting the application.

How long does it take to get my diploma?
August and January graduates can expect to receive their diplomas 5-8 weeks after the end of the summer and winter semesters, respectively. They will be mailed by the US Postal Service. May graduates can pick-up their diplomas immediately after the commencement ceremony in the Kelley Center.

I will not be done with all my classes by May. Can I still attend the commencement ceremony?
Students should check with their current Dean.

How much does it cost to graduate?
The graduation fee is $175. Full-time undergraduate students applying for graduation will have this charge billed to their student account in the spring semester. All other students are required to submit payment at the time of application.

How can I get a duplicate/replacement diploma?
You can order a replacement or duplicate diploma online.


Where can I find my finals grades after the semester ends?
Grades are posted on my.Fairfield. The University Registrar's Office does not send grades in the mail.

When are grades posted?
Grades are usually posted within four days of the end of the semester. Students should contact their individual instructors if their grades are missing.

Do you accept AP Scores and previous work from other colleges?
The acceptance of prior work is up to each school and department. Questions about this should be referred to the student's Dean.

How do I get a grade changed?
Students should speak with their instructor about grade changes.

What is the grade scale for Undergraduate Students?
The official mark or final letter grade earned in a course is assigned quality points. The quality points per credit hour and numerical equivalency for letter grades are as follows:


Grade, Numerical Value, Point Equivalent

A , 4.00, 93-100
A-, 3.67, 90-92
B+, 3.33, 87-89
B , 3.00, 83-86
B-, 2.67, 80-82
C+, 2.33, 77-79
C , 2.00, 73-76
C-, 1.67, 70-72
D , 1.00, 60-69
F , 0.00, 0-59

Additional information about the grading system can be found in the Academic Catalogs.

How do I calculate my GPA?
Determine the numerical value for the grade received in the class by using the chart above. Multiple the numerical value by the number of credits the class was taken for. This number is the quality points for the class. Repeat these steps for each class taken during the semester. Add all of the quality points together, and divide by the total number of credits taken during that specific semester. The resulting number is the term GPA.

Do my parents get a copy of my grades?
No. Fairfield University does not send out copies of grades to students or parents. All posted grades are available by logging into my.Fairfield. If a student needs a paper copy of his/her grades, he/she may request a transcript.

Personal Information

How do I update my contact information?
Contact the University Registrar's Office in-person, by mail, or by fax. The student's signature is required to update any contact information. Requests will NOT be accepted over the telephone.

Note: Parents and/or guardians are not allowed to update contact information for his/her student. This must be done by the student.

How do I change my name?
The University Registrar's Office needs to have a copy of the legal paperwork showing that your name was changed. This information can be dropped off at the University Registrar's Office, sent by mail, or by fax.

Other Questions/University Registrar Contact Information

If you have other questions related to registration, transcripts, or grades that are not addressed on this page, you may contact the University Registrar's Office at:

Telephone: (203) 254-4288
Fax: (203) 254-4109

In Person: The University Registrar's Office is located in the Kelley Center.

Search Results