Class of 2017 Finds Their Place
The month of June on Fairfield’s campus is always highlighted by an influx of hundreds of new students eager to find their place in the Fairfield community. This year, in the summer heat, we welcomed the Class of 2017 and their families to our campus for two days of community building, information, and entertainment. The campus welcomed 945 students and 950 parents/guardians over the course of two sessions.
New students had a jam-packed two days of meeting other first-year students, current students, faculty, and staff. They learned more about the opportunities, both academic and co-curricular, that Fairfield has to offer them. Students began to make informed decisions about their course work and registered for their fall semester courses. About that process one student said, "I'm so relieved to have it finished already. It was really helpful picking them in the presence of so many people who could help me.” Orientation offered an empowering experience that will hopefully ease their transition.
The goal of the parent/guardian Orientation session is to provide our students’ families with crucial information and also reassurance that their student will thrive here. Of the program, one parent said, “We can send our daughter off to this next phase of her life feeling fully confident that, while she will be independent and fully responsible for her own outcomes, the Fairfield community has her back.” It is this kind of faith and reassurance that we work so hard to offer the families of our new students, and it took the combined effort of everyone involved to pull it off.
Overall, students and families were left with a stronger sense of what being a Stag really means. “It was a joy to spend the day on campus and get to know the faculty and students; we left with a strong sense of community and positive energy.” This was due to incredible contributions from faculty, staff, and student leaders. The Class of 2017 is in for a “Super” four years!
- 99.28% of the 138 students who answered the session A survey had a positive academic advising experience on day one
- “I really liked that we had one-on-one advising. I got a lot of help and the person that was advising me made sure that I had all my classes picked out so that I knew which ones to sign up for when I went into registration.”
- “They helped me explore different opportunities because I am undeclared and still looking for my major. They did a good job of being patient and helping me figure out what classes I would be interested in taking.”
- - 91% feel more confident with their decision to attend Fairfield
- 87% of 140 respondents feel more confident with their decision regarding their student attending Fairfield
- “I thought all of the sessions were informative, the speakers engaging, and the information helpful. But the true value in Orientation is seeing the Fairfield community in action. Over and over we were told and shown in myriad ways that "we've got this!" I cannot imagine any school (and we visited many) that could have made us feel more comfortable with this transition. The best part is that I did not feel like this was just slick marketing -- I believe that the people of Fairfield are among the most caring and committed to their students of any that I have seen.”
Written by Nicole Heller, Student Programs & Leadership Development