Fairfield University Hosts Area Colleges to Compete in Localvore Culinary Challenge
When: Tomorrow, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Where: Fairfield University's Barone Campus Center Dining Hall (For directions to campus, see http://www.fairfield.edu/directions/)
What: In an effort to celebrate the best of local Connecticut and New England foods, four colleges and universities from Connecticut and New York will compete in a Localvore Culinary Challenge to be hosted by Fairfield University, Fairfield, Conn. The Localvore culinary showcase challenges professional and up-and-coming chefs to create recipes utilizing as many fresh, local ingredients as possible. As a fun twist, each campus is asked to incorporate the ethnic flavors of various regions from around the globe. Each participating campus will prepare and serve their made-to-order dishes to students at Fairfield University. Students are encouraged to try all foods, interact with the chefs, and learn about the local foods being used and the story around the global significance of the dish. The students will vote on their favorite dishes and a winner will be announced at the end of the event.
Who: The competing colleges and universities will include:
- Fairfield University, Fairfield, Conn.
- University of Bridgeport, Bridgeport, Conn.
- University of New Haven, New Haven, Conn.
- Fordham University, Bronx, New York
Additional local guests for the event include:
- Longhini Sausage – New Haven, Conn. Longhini is a name synonymous with authentic Italian sausage. Their famous sausage will be featured at the Barone Grill during the Localvore event.
- Fresh Point – Fresh produce supplier out of Rocky Hill, Conn. Fresh Point will host a table highlighting the many local farmers they source from. They will also offer local produce, local cider and local black currant juice.
- Farmers Cow – Lebanon, Conn. Kathie Smith from Farmers Cow will host a table with samples of their delicious local ice-cream flavors.
- Karen Jew – Sodexo Regional Dietitian. Karen will host a nutrition table during the event with Fairfield student and Dining Services Nutrition Intern Stephanie Piccolo. They will offer great nutritional resources along with a local pumpkin dip for sampling.
All competing campus accounts are run by Sodexo. Sodexo designs, manages, and delivers quality of life solutions to colleges, universities and other industries to help create exceptional experience for the people we serve. Sodexo is a strong supporter of sustainability and the local food movement, and provides fresh local foods daily to our customers.
The competition will take place at Fairfield on Wednesday November 19, 2014 from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in Barone Dining Hall.
Additional contacts for media:
Jay DeGioia, General Manager – 508-767-7578
Nick Pawlowski, Campus Executive Chef – 401.935.6384
Rebecca Shaw, Area Marketing Coordinator – 203.721.5239
Media Contact: Meg McCaffrey, (203) 254-4000, ext. 2726, firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted on November 18, 2014
Vol. 47, No. 121