Dr. Debra M. Strauss
Professor of Business Law
o: Dolan School of Business Rm 2118
Food Safety and GMOs:
- Debra M. Strauss, "Genetically Modified Organisms in Food: Ethical Tensions and the Labeling Initiative" in H. S. James, Jr. (Ed.), Ethical Tensions from New Technology: The Case of Agricultural Biotechnology. CABI Publishing Biotechnology Series (forthcoming 2018).
- Debra M. Strauss, "Food Security and Safety" in K. Ludlow, S.J. Smyth and J. Falck-Zepeda (Eds.), Socio-Economic Considerations in Biotechnology Regulation. Springer Science+Business Media, LLC (2014): 109-123.
- Debra M. Strauss, "It’s Wise to be Proactive: Learn about the FDA’s New Food Safety Regulations Now," Food Manufacturing (Nov. 4, 2013).
- Debra M. Strauss, Op-Ed, U.S. News & World Report: Debate Club: Should Consumers Worry about Genetically Modified Foods?, "Until Proven Otherwise, GMOs Aren't Safe" (June 5, 2013).
- Debra M. Strauss, "Liability for Genetically Modified Food: Are GMOs a Tort Waiting to Happen?". The SciTech Lawyer 9.2 (2012): 8-13.
- Debra M. Strauss, "The Role of Courts, Agencies, and Congress in GMOs: A Multilateral Approach to Ensuring the Safety of the Food Supply". Idaho Law Review 48.2 (2012): 267-319.
- Debra M. Strauss, "Achieving the Food Safety Mandate: Bringing the USDA to the Table". Hamline Journal of Public Law and Policy 33.1 (2011): 1-47.
- Debra M. Strauss, "An Analysis of the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act: Protection for Consumers and Boon for Business". Food and Drug Law Journal 66.3 (2011): 353-376.
- Debra M. Strauss, "We Reap What We Sow: The Legal Liability Risks of Genetically Modified Food". Journal of Legal Studies in Business 16 (2010): 149-177.
- Debra M. Strauss, "The Application of TRIPS to GMOs: International Intellectual Property Rights and Biotechnology". Stanford Journal of International Law 45.1 (2009): 287-320.
- Debra M. Strauss and Melanie C. Strauss, "Globalization and National Sovereignty: Controlling the International Food Supply in the Age of Biotechnology". Journal of Legal Studies in Business 15 (2009): 75-94.
- Debra M. Strauss, "Feast or Famine: The Impact of the WTO Decision Favoring the U.S. Biotechnology Industry in the EU Ban of Genetically Modified Foods". American Business Law Journal 45.4 (2008): 775-826.
- Debra M. Strauss, "Defying Nature: The Ethical Implications of Genetically Modified Plants". Journal of Food Law & Policy 3.1 (2007): 1-37.
- Debra M. Strauss, "The International Regulation of Genetically Modified Organisms: Importing Caution into the U.S. Food Supply". Food and Drug Law Journal 61.2 (2006): 167-196.
- Debra M. Strauss, "Genetically Modified Organisms in Food: a Model of Labeling and Monitoring with Positive Implications for International Trade". The International Lawyer 40.1 (2006): 95-119.
International Law and Terrorism:
- Debra M. Strauss, "Reaching Out to the International Community: Civil Lawsuits as the Common Ground in the Battle against Terrorism". Duke Journal of Comparative and International Law 19.2 (2009): 307-356.
- Debra M. Strauss, "Enlisting the U.S. Courts in a New Front: Dismantling the International Business Holdings of Terrorist Groups Through Federal Statutory and Common-Law Suits". Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 38.3 (2005): 679-742.
Courts and Judicial Clerkships:
- Debra M. Strauss, Behind the Bench: The Guide to Judicial Clerkships, Second Edition. West Academic Publishing (2017). Also available on Amazon.
- Debra M. Strauss, "Top Ten Tips To the Judicial Clerkship Interview," AbovetheLaw.com (Jan. 22, 2015).
- Debra M. Strauss, "Strategies for Success: The Quest for Your Judicial Clerkship," AbovetheLaw.com (Feb. 29, 2014).
- Debra M. Strauss, "Putting it in Perspective: Understanding the History of the Timing Issue and Making Lemonade," AbovetheLaw.com (Nov. 8, 2013).
- Debra M. Strauss, "Judge for Yourself". Student Lawyer (American Bar Association Publishing) 32.7 (2004): 24-30.
- Debra M. Strauss, "Diversity Begins at Home: Supreme Court Clerkships and Affirmative Action, Jurist: The Legal Education Network (April 4, 2003).
- Debra M. Strauss, Behind the Bench: The Guide to Judicial Clerkships. BarBri Group (2002). For additional information, see book website.
- Courting the Clerkship: Perspectives on the Opportunities and Obstacles for Judicial Clerkships, Report on the 2000 National Judicial Clerkship Study (National Association for Law Placement, October 2000).
Most of these articles are also available at: http://ssrn.com/author=1078423.