Alumni & Students

On This Page

Academic Advising

All formally admitted students are assigned an academic advisor at the time that they are notified of admission. After taking nine hours of graduate work, students may select a different advisor if they wish.

Matriculated students are responsible to meet with their advisor during their first semester to plan a program of study. We recommend that the advisor be consulted each semester about course selection and for information about changes in certification regulations.

Full-time students must carry nine or more credits per semester; part-time students carry three to six credits. The faculty advisor will discuss extending the normal academic load with students.

Information about certification requirements is available from the Certification Officer and students are encouraged to meet with the Certification Officer.

Alumni Community

Search for friends, make new connections, or register for events through the Alumni Online Community.

Career Planning

The Career Center works with undergraduate and graduate students as well as alumni. They are committed to helping Stags throughout their career development process.

Honor Societies

Fairfield University is home chapters of over 20 different honor societies.

Professional Organizations

Enrich your graduate school experience by learning about Fairfield's 6 professional organizations on campus for the School of Education and Human Development students. These Fairfield chapters can provide you with opportunities for:

  • Networking
  • Professional development
  • Access to current thought in a profession
  • A variety of services

Get involved!

  • Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology inducts both graduate and undergraduate psychology students.
    Contact: Dr. Judy Primavera, faculty advisor,
  • Gamma Lambda Chi, a chapter of Chi Sigma Iota (CSI), the International Counseling Academic and Professional Honor Society.
    Contact: Dr. Dilani Perera, faculty advisor,
  • CTAMFT, The Connecticut Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
  • NCTE, the National Council of Teachers of English. Contact: Dr. Emily Smith, (203) 254-4000, ext. 2796,
  • Phi Delta Kappa (PDK), an international professional association for men and women in the field of education.
    Contact: Dr. Ryan Colwell, (203) 254-4000, ext. 2586,

Graduation Information

Applying for graduation

All candidates for graduation must submit an application for graduation early in the semester in which they intend to graduate, by the appropriate deadline posted on the academic calendar. The application fee is $200. The application for degree link can be accessed below:

If you plan to attend Commencement in May, you must reserve and pay for your cap and gown in advance at

Diplomas are awarded each year in January, May, and August.

Commencement Ceremony

Students who have been awarded diplomas in the previous August and January, and those who have completed all degree requirements for May graduation, are invited to participate in the May commencement ceremony.


The School of Education and Human Development offers teaching internships for both non-certified and certified teachers studying for a master's degree or certificate of advanced study at Fairfield.

Search Results