Frequently Asked Questions

On This Page

Frequently Asked Questions

Is financial aid available to Graduate and Part-Time students?
Yes! If a student is a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen attending Fairfield University, he/she is eligible to apply for federal student aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal student aid is available for graduate and part-time students Direct Loan Program, and varying grant programs, depending on eligibility.

Is there a deadline for completing the FAFSA?
It is strongly recommended that the FAFSA be submitted by June 1 of each academic year, and/or at least four weeks prior to the beginning semester that the financial aid is needed. FAFSAs will be accepted on a rolling basis and used to determine eligibility for students who may start in the spring or summer semesters.

Are there other financial assistance programs available to Graduate students beyond the Direct Loan Program?
Yes! There are a limited number of graduate assistantships available through various departments on campus. In addition, graduate students can apply for alternative student loans. 

Can I borrow student loans to cover my living expenses while in school?
Yes! Student loans can cover a student's direct costs (tuition and fees) and indirect costs (books and supplies, personal, travel, and living expenses). The amount a student is eligible to borrow is limited to the amount Fairfield University has determined the cost of attendance (COA) for all undergraduate and graduate degree programs. 

When will my student loans be received by Fairfield University?
Generally, approved student loan proceeds will be credited to a student's account on the first day of the semester. This is for students who have met all financial aid and loan requirements and have aid approved by both the Office of Financial Aid and the Department of Education. The Office of the Bursar will utilize what is necessary from the loan proceeds to cover an account balance; if applicable, a student may be refunded excess loan proceeds shortly thereafter.

Are student loans automatically renewable each year?
No! Students must submit the FAFSA every year in order to qualify for student loans. However, both the Entrance Counseling and Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) only need to be completed once.

What is financial need?
Once the federal processing center receives a completed FAFSA, it follows established guidelines to calculate the contribution a student can be expected to make toward the cost of his/her education. The information provided on the FAFSA will be shared with all colleges as listed on the FAFSA. A student's financial need is the difference between the expected family contribution (EFC) and the cost of attendance (COA). Effective July 1, 2012: Federal loans for GRADUATE students are unsubsidized (non-need based).

If I am offered a graduate assistantship, will the benefit negatively affect my eligibility for financial aid?
Yes! Graduate assistantship benefits are counted as a source of financial assistance and will be used when determining a student's eligibility for financial aid.

Will my application for student loans affect my application for admission?
No! Admission applications are evaluated separately from requests for financial aid.

If I have more questions about financial aid at Fairfield University, who should I contact?
Please contact the Office of Financial Aid. Our contact information, hours of operation, and counselor listing are online. We look forward to working with you as you finance your education at Fairfield University!

Helpful Websites

Federal Student Aid →
Information from the Department of Education on preparing for and funding a college education.


Internal Revenue Service →
The IRS offers information on tax forms, filing requirements and tax benefits.


Connecticut Office of Higher Education →
Details for grants, scholarships and other financial aid resources offered from the state of Connecticut.


Federal Loan Repayment Options →
Information from the Department of Education on the various loan repayment options for all students.


Student Loans →
Information from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) on student loans.


Money & Credit →
Tips on how to build your credit.


FinAid! →
A comprehensive source of student financial aid information, advice and tools to help finance a higher education.


FastWeb →
Scholarship applications and advice for students.

Search Results