Alumni Career Services - Webinars
Change Management, Stress and Resilience
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
1:00 - 2:00 pm EST
Change is one constant we all have to confront. Some time ago, we used to think of change as an event. Now, it viewed as an ongoing process. As a result, we are susceptible to stress which can induce interpersonal, health, and organizational difficulties. We need, therefore, to develop techniques for coping with stress and developing resilience.
Dr. Paul Maloney has designed this webinar program to assist participants in understanding and managing change and dealing with its impact.
In this webinar we will discuss best practices to:
• manage change
• identify crisis stages
• focus on stress and stress reduction methods
• examine the factors involved in resilience
Your Career Reinvented: Writing the Next Chapter in Your Career Success Story
Tuesday, December 16, 2014
1:00 - 2:00 pm EST
Do you feel bored, unfulfilled or uninspired in your current career? Do you find that you’re constantly asking yourself “What’s next?” in your professional endeavors or simply don’t feel as if you’re working in your purpose? If this is your story, join Cachet Prescott MA '04 as she discusses career transitions and the process involved in making a successful change.
Webinar participants will learn to:
• Assess whether or not a change is truly necessary at this point in your career.
• Recognize when and how to move forward with a career transition.
• Formulate an effective career transition strategy.
Presented by Cachet Prescott, MA ‘04, The Mid-Career Coach - Women’s Career and Business Coaching
Look like an Extrovert: Learn ways to present and network confidently…even if you’re an introvert.
Thursday, December 11, 2014
1:00 - 2:00 pm EST
To be a successful presenter and networker, you don’t have to be an extrovert. Introverts possess a list of admirable qualities that can make presentations and networking more meaningful and successful: They’re deeply reflective, thoughtful, and purposeful. As the master of their vivid internal worlds, introverts have a power and purpose that was best described by famous introvert Mahatma Gandhi: “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”
Join Karen Graziano ’93 and discover how to harness the qualities that define you as an introvert so you can present and network with ease—and “shake the world” with your personal internal power.
LinkedIn and Your Personal Brand
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
1-2 p.m. EST
Presented by Sandra Long, an independent LinkedIn, networking, and social media professional. She is president and chief consultant for Post Road Consulting LLC.
LinkedIn is the number one global professional networking platform. Prospective clients, employees and hiring managers are looking at your LinkedIn profile. Whether you are a CEO or a job seeker, your online presence really does matter.
In this special webinar, learn the key elements of an impressive LinkedIn profile. Discover other important features of LinkedIn that will reflect on your personal brand such as LinkedIn Groups; Company pages; LinkedIn publishing vs. posting or sharing content; and effectively using recommendations and endorsements.
Using Google Plus for Job Search
Tuesday, October 21, 2014
1-2 p.m. EDT
Presented by Linda Van Valkenburgh, owner and certified executive career coach of My Executive Career Coach, LLC - Stamford, CT.
Google Plus is the second-most popular social networking service after Facebook. Searchmetrics notes that Google shares or +1's are growing almost twice as fast as Facebook likes. This data suggests that Google+ is gaining significant traction across the social media landscape and should not be ignored. Linda Van Valkenburgh, owner and certified executive career coach of My Executive Career Coach, LLC, will help you:
- Learn why Google+ is not just another social network and discover how it can help job search
- Leverage Google+ to create a top-notch online identity
- Learn about Google+ navigation and learn how to organize information and create more targeted interactions
- Craft and share rich content that builds engagement, increases followers, and facilitates the job search process
Taking it to the next level: Helping professionals cultivate true talent to achieve success
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
1-2 p.m. EDT
Presented by Kevin McMahon '99, Founder and President of McMahon Resource Group, a full service professional training and coaching firm.
Are you looking to move up internally, or transition to a new role outside of your current organization?
In today's professional environment, the ability to move into a leadership role can be very competitive. Professionals face many challenges that need to be conquered in order to separate themselves from the pack.
Join Alumnus Kevin McMahon '99 as he gives you the important tools to move ahead in your career and progress into a leadership position. He'll help you:
- Develop a personalized strategy
- Successfully showcase your personal brand, both online and offline
- Determine how to best market your transferable skills
- Teach you how to utilize your network more effectively
- Overcome common obstacles that limit advancement
Making the Most of Your 20's: Career Development, Change, and Advancement
Tuesday, June 17, 2014
1 p.m. - 2 p.m. (EST)
Presented by Stephanie Gallo and Meredith Tornabene, Associate Directors, Fairfield University Career Planning Center
They will discuss the following:
- Why your 20's matter
- How to build your network for when you need it
- Making the next career step (change, advancement, etc.)
- Taking initiative and avoiding pitfalls
Fundamentals of Negotiation
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
1 p.m. - 2 p.m. (EST)
Presented by Dr. Paul Maloney, Program Director of the Applied Psychology Program at Fairfield University
Participants will also have the opportunity to:
- Examine various negotiation styles, including their own
- Review the pros and cons of these styles
- Learn the "tricks of the trade" and strategies for dealing with them effectively
This Webinar is perfect for recent graduates and those who want to learn negotiating skills.
Preparing to Sell: Defining Your Target Market and Aligning Your Sales & Marketing Message for Maximum Results
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Presented by Denise Graziano '87, Founder and President of Graziano Associates
Many businesspeople have an unnecessarily long sales cycle because they don't properly identify their ideal prospects and position themselves as a problem solver to their clients. Do you think you know who your client is, and how your product can help them? In this webinar you will learn:
- The common mistakes sales and business people make when defining a target market and assessing their common problems
- How to craft your sales message to best solve these challenges for clients
- Why narrowing your focus can yield greater results
- Why seeing yourself as a problem solver will set you apart from your competition
- What the 4 key motivators are for any buyer, and how to appeal to them
- 5 essential tips to shortening the sales cycle
Want to Stand Out? How to Create a Memorable Elevator Speech That Gets Results
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Presented by Dr. Jennifer Lee Magas '96, Adjunct Professor - Fairfield University English Department, Employment Law Attorney, and Vice President of Magas Media Consultants, LLC
A strong elevator speech is everything in today's economy where 30 seconds can make a difference when it comes to building both your personal and professional brands. During this webinar you will learn:
- How to craft a strong personal and business elevator speech
- How, when, and where to use your elevator speech to get a job, market your business, grow your network, and build relationships
- How to choose your words wisely and use nonverbal cues to your advantage to make you and your speech memorable
Dissection of an Interview
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Presented by Linda Van Valkenburgh, Owner & Certified Career Coach, My Executive Career Coach LLC. This webinar aimed to assist the job seeker in developing interview foundation materials, understanding the major components of an interview, learning how to close the meeting to gather as much information as possible, and how to follow up effectively and professionally to ensure a most successful outcome!
Branding YOU: Building Your Personal Brand for Professional Success
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Presented by Claire Chandler '93, President of Talent Boost, LLC. Personal branding is a hot topic these days. A lot of companies talk about their brand: their marketing brand, their employment brand, their social brand. But individuals in the workforce have a brand too. And if you don't actively build and protect it, you are still projecting an image... just maybe not the image you really want. Your physical appearance, your professional skills and your social media presence can all work together to create your personal brand... or they can work against you.