J-1 Academic Training
- You must be in lawful J-1 status.
- You must have a Fairfield University issued DS-2019.
- Academic Training must be directly related to the student's major field of study.
- Complete the J-1 Academic Training Application by giving it to all appropriate parties and return it to the Office of International Students (Dolan House 105).
- Provide a Recommendation Letter from your academic advisor, department chair, or dean.
- Attach an offer of employment letter stating an explanation of the goals and objectives of the proposed employment; the salary to be paid; the start and end dates of the employment (not to exceed the prescribed time limitations); the number of hours per week; name, address and phone number of employer; supervisor's name; the location of employment.
- Provide proof of adequate health insurance coverage.
Once you have gathered and submitted all of the above documents, the Office of International Students will confirm your eligibility. Your SEVIS Form DS-2019 will then be amended for work authorization. You will also receive written notification about the authorization of employment. You will need to show this notification to your employer. Be sure to properly sign your new DS-2019.
Important Notes and Limitations
- Academic Training may not exceed 18 months or the period of full course of study in the United States, whichever is less.
- All Academic Training time is counted as full-time, even if employment is on a part-time basis.
- Non-degree programs may not exceed 24 months, including Academic Training.
- You must maintain coverage of the minimum insurance requirements by the Department of State throughout your Academic Training.