Curricular Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a form of employment which allows you to put your classroom knowledge to practice. CPT must be an integral part of your curriculum. This will take form of an internship or practicum which is directly related to your program of study. CPT may be either full-time or part-time. Part-time is defined as 20 hours or less, anything above 20 hours is considered full-time. However, you may only work part-time while school is in session (fall and spring semesters).
- You must be in lawful F1 status.
- You must be enrolled in an academic program for at least 2 academic terms. (Exception: Graduate programs which mandate earlier participation in curricular practical training).
- The CPT must be an integral part of your program's curriculum.
- Grad students at the School of Engineering: You must be registered for a course corresponding to the internship, practicum or independent study.
- Complete the CPT Application Form* by giving it to all appropriate parties and return it to the Office of International Students (Dolan House 105).
- Provide a Recommendation Letter from your academic advisor requesting CPT.
- Provide a letter of Offer of Employment from proposed employer.
- Proof of registration for the appropriate course, if necessary.
Once you have gathered and submitted all of the above documents, the OIS will confirm your eligibility. Your SEVIS Form I-20 will then be endorsed for work authorization. You will need to show this endorsement to your employer. Be sure to properly sign you new Form I-20.
Important Notes and Limitations
- You are NOT authorized to begin work until your SEVIS Form I-20 has been endorsed by the Office of International Students. You must stop working on the last day indicated in the endorsement.
- If you engage in full-time CPT for a cumulative period of 12 months or more, you will no longer be eligible for Optional Practical Training.
- You are limited to a total of 20 hours per week of CPT unless authorized for full-time employment. This total does not include the number of hours you work in an assistantship or campus job, if any (e.g., if you work 20 hours at the RecPlex you can still work up to 20 hours on your CPT).
*Please allow for 2 or 3 business days for processing