Disability Support Services(DSS) facilitates effective, reasonable classroom accommodations for all students on campus who disclose a disability, meet the eligibility criteria, and request accommodations.
Students are encouraged to meet with each professor after registering with DSS to review accommodation requests and how they will pertain to each class. Students should talk to professors about how their disability affects learning and how the accommodations will be implemented at the beginning of each semester.
If you would like to register with our office for the first time, please contact DSS.
See the Special Accommodations page for special parking and housing requests.
Exam Scheduling at DSS
Arrive on Time:
The test begins at the time originally requested, regardless of the time a student actually arrives, similar to what would be expected in the classroom. It is recommended for students to arrive at least 10 minutes before the scheduled start time of an exam.
Students are responsible for their personal exam materials. If a student forgets personal exam materials (i.e. calculator) and they leave before the exam starts to retrieve them, when they return they will only be given the remainder of their allotted time. DSS and the offices located nearby are not responsible for providing students with these personal exam materials.
Students should call DSS at ext. 2615 if unable to make an exam due to an illness, an emergency, or if taking the exam in class. There is no guarantee that the instructor will permit a make up exam. This policy also applies to lateness due to illness - students unable to take an exam due to illness or emergency should contact their instructor immediately. Students are responsible for coordinating the makeup of any missed exam or quiz with their instructor.
Any student observed utilizing any unauthorized resources during an exam will be reported to his/her instructor. Any unauthorized notes and any scrap paper used during the exam will be copied and returned with the exam to the instructor. The student is not permitted to touch/move the camera that is located in the exam room. If the student is caught moving the camera, s/he will be reported to the instructor and may be charged with academic misconduct. A staff member may come into the exam room at any time to perform a random integrity check. Any suspected evidence of cheating will be documented by the exam scheduling coordinator or other full time staff and reported to the appropriate faculty members. Students must also uphold all codes of academic honesty stated in the Fairfield University Student Handbook.
Online Exam Request Form:
To reserve a seat in our exam room, students are encouraged to submit an online exam request form a week before the day of their exam by using the following link: http://www.fairfieldsurveys.com/f/697318/144f/
Barrier Reporting Form
For reporting any physical barriers or accessibility issues that you notice on campus: Barrier Reporting Form
Academic and Student Resources
- Academic Support & Retention (ASR)- Offers Academic Skills Development trainings and a Group Peer Tutorial Program. Appointments for group peer tutoring can be made online at www.fairfield.edu/tutoring.Visit ASR’s office in the Kelley Center or call (203) 254-4000 ext. 2222 for a meeting.
- Writing Center- Peer tutors are available to help students work on any type of writing - from essays to lab reports. To make an appointment at the Writing Center, please call (203) 254-4000 ext. 2214, or go to the lower level of the library, near the Center for Academic Excellence.
- Math Center- Peer tutoring is available for statistics and first year calculus courses. Make an appointment online at https://www2.fairfield.edu/mathcenter/login.lasso
- Library-brainstorming, researching, and citation assistance. Schedule an individual research appointment with a member of the library staff at http://www.fairfield.edu/library/help/onlineforms/lib_refappointment.html
Additional Campus Resources
- Academic Advising- Faculty Advisor/Academic Support & Retention
- Counseling & Psychological Services (203) 254-4000 ext. 2146
- Campus Ministry (203) 254-4000 ext. 3045
- Public Safety (203) 254-4000 ext. 4090
- Health Center (203) 254-4000 ext. 2241
Additional Seminars Through DSS With Campus Partners
- Time Management
- Boosting Study Skills
- Organization and Planning
- Effective Note Taking