Sexual Assault & Harassment

Sexual Assault
Sexual assault is defined as any sexual act or any form of sexual contact without consent, including any vaginal, oral, anal, or urethral penetration with any body part or object.

Read the brochure: Sexual Assault and Intimate Partner Violence: Information for Survivors

If YOU have experienced a sexual assault:

Find a safe environment - anywhere away from the attacker. Ask a trusted friend to stay with you for support.

  • Call Public Safety at (203) 254-4090 or (203) 254-4000 ext. 4090. You may request to talk to the SART (Sexual Assault Response team responder to explain your options for medical care and/or reporting.
  • Preserve evidence of the attack. Don't bathe or brush your teeth to preserve forensic evidence.
  • Get medical attention. Even if you have no physical injuries, it is important to assess the risks of STDs and pregnancy.
  • Write down all the details you can recall about the attack and the attacker.

The following services are available:

  • Counseling & Psychological Services - A clinician will provide emotional support, as well as information about medical care and reporting options. Call (203) 254-4000 ext. 2146. After hours call Public Safety (203) 254-4090 and request to speak to a clinician.
  • Fairfield University Health Center - Immediate care, STD and pregnancy testing, and Women's Clinic.
  • Bridgeport Hospital or St. Vincent's Hospital - Evidence collection provided by a trained SANE (Sexual Assault) nurse. If you suspect you may have been drugged, ask that a urine sample be collected as soon as possible. The sample will need to be analyzed later on by a forensic lab.
  • The Center for Women and Families - Sexual Assault counselors will accompany you to the hospital, discuss options, and provide information about funding for medical care. Call (203) 333-2233 or (888) 999-5545 or check their website.

How to HELP A FRIEND who has been sexually assaulted:

  • Listen.
  • Be there.
  • Don't judge.

Encourage your friend to call Counseling & Psychological Services at (203) 254-4000 ext. 2146 or after hours call Public Safety at (203) 254-4090 and ask to speak to a counselor. A counselor will provide information to help your friend make decisions about reporting and getting medical care.

  • Be patient. Remember, it may take your friend some time to deal with the assault.
  • Encourage him or her to call for information, but realize that only the victim of the assault can make the decision to get help.

Fairfield University Public Safety: (203) 254-4090 or (203) 254-4000 ext. 4090
Counseling & Psychological Services: (203) 254-4000 ext. 2146
(Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30)
Fairfield University Health Center: (203) 254-4000 ext. 2241
Sexual Assault Hotline in Bridgeport: (203) 333-2233 or (888) 999-5545

Additional Information on Sexual Assault

Center for Women and Families
Connecticut Sexual Assault Crisis Services, Inc.
National Sexual Assault Hotline (RAINN)
Office on Violence Against Women
The National Women's Health Information Center
Men Against Violence Against Women
Men Can Stop Rape
Stalking Resource Center

Information on Sexual Harassment
Call the Dean of Students office (203) 254-4000 ext. 4211 or Terry Quell, Title IX Coordinator at (203) 254-4000 ext. 2704 for more information.

Related Information

Staff | Self Assessment & Links | Make an Appointment | Services & Resources

About Us →

Admission & Aid →

Academics →

Life at Fairfield →

Parents & Families →

Alumni & Friends →

Athletics →