For Parents


Clinicians are available to speak with parents by phone or in person by appointment. Parents can call if they have concerns about their son or daughter, or if they have questions about the specific services we provide. We also help parents obtain referrals to clinicians and resources within the community. It can be especially helpful for parents whose son or daughter has a history of mental illness to contact Counseling & Psychological Services prior to or at the beginning of the academic year to discuss treatment options that will provide continuity of care.

What about confidentiality?
Confidentiality is a cornerstone of an effective counseling relationship. Connecticut state law prohibits us from sharing any information about a student's contact with a clinician, without the written permission of the student, except in the event that the student is a risk to self or others, or in the case of suspected child or elder abuse.

However, we are not prohibited from discussing ways in which parents can be helpful in dealing with the issues confronting their son or daughter. Even if a student does not give his or her clinician permission to provide information to you, you may speak with a clinician to share your concerns, particularly if you feel your son or daughter is at risk. Please note that the clinician is unable to even acknowledge knowing your student, and will discuss with them any information you provide.

Why do students seek counseling?
Each year, about 20% of our students consult Counseling & Psychological Services seeking help with a wide range of problems. These include adjustment difficulties, relationship and family problems, as well as more serious issues such as depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and substance abuse. We encourage students to consult with us about matters that concern them.

What services are offered?
Counseling & Psychological Services offers short-term psychological counseling, crisis intervention, groups and workshops, consultations, and psychiatric referrals.

What should I look for during my son or daughter's transition to college?
Typical adjustment issues during freshman year include complaints about living arrangements, roommate problems, academic workload and time management difficulties, and homesickness. While most students gradually adjust and transition successfully as freshmen, some continue to struggle. Some warning signs of poor adjustment to college life include isolation from other people and campus activities, irritability, poor class attendance, excessive partying, constant telephone contact with parents, visiting home every weekend, sleep and/or appetite disturbance, and poor concentration. If you are concerned about your son or daughter, encourage them to speak with one of our clinicians.

What about Alcohol?

What should I do if my son or daughter does not stay in touch?

Follow this link for some advice from the Christian Monitor.

Links to On-campus Services

Self Assessment and Interesting Links

Suggested Readings for Parents

Alcohol Awareness - A Handbook for Parents

Related Information

Staff | Self Assessment & Links | Make an Appointment | Services & Resources

About Us →

Admission & Aid →

Academics →

Life at Fairfield →

Parents & Families →

Alumni & Friends →

Athletics →