Career Peer Advisor Program
The Career Planning Center created the Career Peer Advisor position so students could help fellow students with career-related questions!
What is the Career Peer Advisor (CPA) Program?
The CPA Program is a student leadership program for sophomore, juniors, and senior students interested in helping underclassmen develop career readiness skills. CPAs receive extensive training from the Career Planning Center staff and use that knowledge to meet with and guide students in the CPC.
Peer Advisers assist students with:
- Resume critiques and writing resumes from scratch
- Cover letter construction and content
- Tips for using LinkedIn
- Applying for internships and jobs - particularly navigating Stags4Hire
- Sharing interview tips
CPAs volunteer 4 – 7 hours per week during the CPC’s drop-in hours and at events and programs on campus. Drop-in hours are from 1 – 4 p.m. on Monday – Friday. CPAs do presentations in residence halls and to clubs, attend information/career fairs on behalf of the Career Planning Center, and plan their own events. They also help market the Center's events as well as the CPA program.
CPAs are expected to attend one mandatory full-day training in the beginning of the semester (10am – 3pm on Saturday, September 5th) and hour-long bi-weekly meetings.
- Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8
- Demonstrated engagement in personal career development, including but not limited to: experience with individual counseling with Career Planning staff, completion of Sophomore Success, and/or attendance at CPC events and workshops
- Interest in helping fellow students with career-related questions and concerns
- Ability to present in a group setting and collaborate with peers effectively
- Previous internship or work experience
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel preferred) and social media tools
How to Participate: Applications will be available from March 16, 2015 to March 31, 2015.
For more information contact Ana at email@example.com or call (203) 254-4081.