First Year Experience Essentials
What will I need to complete to successfully fulfill the FYE Program?
The First Year experience program strives to provide students with:
- An understanding of the rich history and tradition of the Society of Jesus and Ignatian spirituality
- The impetus to fully engage in their college community by exploring all the opportunities for learning
- An exposure to the resources available to fully engage in curricular and co-curricular experiences
- An exploration of practical skills necessary for successful transition
- Access to the many events, programs, and services available at Fairfield
- The tools necessary to live a reflective life by developing their critical thinking and journal skills
- The passion and skills to serve others in this community and our global world, specifically increasing their motivation to help, and develop the skills and confidence when responding to problems or concerns
FYE Program Requirements
Students are expected to:
- Attend and participate in all FYE seminar meetings in the fall and community building activities in the spring.
- Create and complete the FYE e-Portfolio Project
- Complete all readings and seminar assignments
- Complete two (2) reflective assignments (online)
- Attend the University Convocation
- Attend a minimum of seven (8) FYE campus events throughout the fall semester
- 4 Magis
- 3 Community
- 1 Service
- Complete CIRP Freshman Survey
- Complete the AlcoholEdu Course
- FYE is a graduation requirement that is pass/fail and appears on a student's transcript. If there is a lack of participation (poor seminar attendance, missing reflective assignments, inadequate FYE event attendance), the student will fail the course.
FYE Events Expectations
- FYE Events web page
- You must locate the card swiper at events. There will always be a card swiper or some method of recording credit at each event. An FYE event card swiper person will be wearing a red polo and have a sign. If for some reason there is no swiper, please locate the event coordinator, who will either know where the swiper is located or record your information.
- You may not swipe for other students
- Please do not swipe multiple times at one event, it will only count once
Mentor Tracking System
- Events will be tracked in Mentor. In the student context, Go to the top dark gray bar and selection My Info > Activities. Here you will find the events you have attended. In order to see the summary of events in each category, check the "Event Summary Format" box and select search.
- If you have any questions regarding event attendance please e-mail Mary Grace DeSantis
Any questions about the FYE Program? Contact us at FYE@fairfield.edu or (203) 254-4053