As incidents of plagiarism increase, more professors are on the alert, and many have powerful detection tools at their fingertips. Learning to avoid plagiarism is paramount to your success.
- Plagiarism violates the University's Honor Code.
- Plagiarism can earn a failing grade, suspension, expulsion, or the rescission of a degree, even after graduation.
- If plagiarism goes undetected, a temporary, unfair advantage over classmates is outweighed by disadvantages (missed opportunities to learn, grow, and think for oneself).
- Plagiarism degrades a university' reputation, and diminishes the value of any degree it offers.
- Legal precedence suggests that plagiarists who decide to sue when caught will succeed in publishing their names as plagiarists, nothing more.