How do I find a book?
Watch this two-minute video that shows you how to find a book through the library's catalog. Or, scroll down to read instructions.
Learn More! Understanding Call Numbers
- Begin your search on the library's homepage in the "Books/Movies/Music" tab. If you're looking for books on a particular topic, just type one or more keywords related to your topic. Or, if you're looking for a specific book, type the title or author. Click "Go" when you're ready to see results.
- The next page will show you a list of results. Click on "Show Availability" to see if a book is in the library. For more information, click on a book title to open the record where you will see publication information, table of contents, and related subjects.
Tip: If you find a good book, click on one of the subjects to find other, related books.
- To find a book on the shelf, write down the Call Number (where the book is located on the shelf) that you see after clicking on "Show Availability." Go to the location specified to locate the book. Here are some of the locations you might see.
- Fairfield - Stacks: Located upstairs, on the second floor
- Reference - Main Level: Located on the main floor
- Media - LL: Located on the lower level in the Media room.
- Curriculum Collection: Located on the main floor in the Curriculum Collection room, next to the copiers
- FairfieldU - Spec Coll: Located in Special Collections. Ask a librarian for access.
- FairfieldU - Archives: Located in Archives. Ask a librarian for access.
Tip: If a book is checked out, you can place a hold on the book. This means that the person who has the book must return it and you can then check it out.
- If you wish to check the book out, bring it and your Stagcard to the Circulation Desk located on the main floor by the doors. Students may check books out for 4 weeks, and renew them for an additional 4 weeks.
Can't find the book you need? Want to find more books than are at Fairfield?
- You can search ReQuest to search just the libraries in Connecticut. With your Stagcard you can check books out at any public library in Connecticut.
- Search WorldCat and request the book from another library. Just click on the Interlibrary Loan button.
Still need help? Ask a librarian.