Dr. Mary Ann M. Carolan
Associate Professor of Modern Languages & Literature
o: Canisius Hall Rm 216
- Book: The Transatlantic Gaze: Italian Cinema, American Film. Albany: The State University of New York Press, forthcoming, March 1, 2014.
- Article: "Counting by Fives: A Literary Reading of Inferno,” Modern Language Notes, Italian Volume, no. 127, no. 1 (supplement), January 2012, 138-145.
- Article: “Suffer the Children: Violence and Youth in Contemporary Italian Film,” Rivista di Studi Italiani, Anno XXVIII, no. 2, December 2010 (Cinema), 156-166.
- Chapter: “Memory on the Margins: Reflections on Italy (1938-1943) in Scola’s “Una giornata particolare” and Ozpetek’s “La finestra di fronte,” in Teaching Italian and Italian Culture, Oxford: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2008, 499-519.
- Foreword to Serao, Matilde. Unmarried Women: Stories. Trans. Paula Paige. Evanston, IL: Northwestern UP, 2007.
- Foreword to Riccio, Anthony. The Italian American Experience in New Haven. Albany: SUNY Press, 2006, ix-xii
- Article: "Italian American Women as Comic Foils: Exploding the Stereotype in ’Moonstruck,’ ’My Cousin Vinny,’ and ’Married to the Mob.'" Literature Interpretation Theory 13.2 (2002).
- Article: "La monaca di Monza: Manzoni’s Bad Girl and the Repudiation of the Imagination." Rivista di Studi Italinani . (2002).
- Article: "Antonioni’s Doubting Thomas: Resurrection and Self-Discovery in Blow-Up." Romance Languages Annual XII. (2000).
- Article: "Icon, Intercession and Insight: Representations of the Madonna in Grazia Deledda." Quaderni d’italianistica 20.1/2/2009 (1999).
- Article: "Leone's Lone Lady: A New Perspective of Women in C'era una volta il West," Romance Languages Annual, vol. XI, 1999.
- Article: "The Missing Mother: Procreation vs. Creation in Morante's Early Fiction," Rivista di Studi Italiani, June 1995.
- Translation: Gianvincenzo Gravina, Della ragion poetica, Book II. Translation in Critical Essays on Dante. Boston: G.K. Hall, 1992.