Dr. John E. Thiel
Professor of Religious Studies
o: Donnarumma Hall Rm 246
- Thiel, John E., "Time, Judgment, and Competitive Spirituality: A Reading of the Development of the Doctrine of Purgatory," Theological Studies 69 (2008): 741-785.
- Thiel, John E., "Development of Doctrine," in The Blackwell Companion to Catholic Life and Thought. Ed. Buckley, James J..; Bauerschmidt, Frederick Christian.; Pomplun, Trent. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 2006, 251-267.
- Thiel, John E., "For What May We Hope? Thoughts on the Eschatological Imagination," Theological Studies 67 (2006): 517-541.
- Thiel, John E., "Romantic Difficulties: Thoughts on the Form-Content Theory of Doctrinal Development," in Traditions and Tradition Theories: An International Discussion. Ed. Wiedenhofer, Siegfried; Larbig, Torsten. Munster: LIT Verlag, 2006, 356-374.
- Thiel, John E.; Kamitsuka, Margaret D..; Kvam, Kris; McFague, Sallie; Mercadante, Linda; Ray, Darby Kathleen.; Ray, Stephen G... '“Sin and Evil,” in Constructive Theology: A Contemporary Approach to Classical Themes. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2005, 117-159.
- Thiel, John E., '“The Analogy of Tradition: Method and Theological Judgment,” Theological Studies 66 (2005): 358-380.
- Thiel, John E., "Author’s Response to Haight, Espin and Tanner (Review Symposium “Roman Catholic Theology of Tradition” on John E. Thiel, “Senses of Tradition” and Terrence W. Tilley, “Inventing Catholic Tradition,” Horizons 29 (2002): 315-321.
- Thiel, John E., God, Evil, and Innocent Suffering: A Theological Reflection. New York: Crossroad Publishing Company, 2002.
- Thiel, John E., Senses of Tradition: Continuity and Development in Catholic Faith. New York: Oxford University Press, 2000
- Thiel, John E., Imagination and Authority: Theological Authorship in the Modern Tradition. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1991.