MFA in Creative Writing - Program Features
Fairfield's MFA provides a truly distinguished and enriching educational experience, one that helps the writer to find his or her own individual voice. We do this by offering:
- An outstanding, supportive faculty with impressive professional credentials. Being so close to New York, we are able to attract a wide variety of nationally renowned authors. Our faculty's awards and honors include the National Book Critics Circle Award, the T.S. Eliot Prize, Oprah's Book Club choice, a New York Times Notable Book author, the Book-of-the-Month Club, and many other honors and prizes.
- Individualized attention. The MFA curriculum, faculty and residency opportunities were specifically designed to strengthen and nourish your individual abilities and interests.
- A truly inspirational setting. Ender's island is a perfect writer's retreat. Situated on eleven acres off the coast of Connecticut, the island's remoteness forms the ideal setting for the introspection and quiet needed to write. Fairfield University will take care of all the details of the residency, including food, lodging, and transportation, while you can become inspired as a writer.
- Editors and agents panels. Aiming to balance the theoretical with the practical,each residency features editors from some of the biggest trade houses in New York, as well as agents from top literary agencies.
- Exciting third-semester possibilities. From developing creative writing programs in schools to working with disadvantaged youths to working as an intern in a publishing house, our program offers you the opportunity to pursue hands-on, real-world applications of your learning.