M.A. in Liberal Studies - Mission, Goals & Objectives
To deliver a transformative experience for students through a broad liberal arts curriculum focused on developing critical thinking and writing skills, expanding cultural perspectives, and promoting integrative learning by providing students with team taught foundational courses, diverse seminars, and independent and original research opportunities. The MLS will culminate in a master's thesis or project. The program is intended to prepare graduates to be successful professionals, scholars, and life long learners.
- Students will develop the ability to make connections across disciplines in order to understand the convergence and divergence of different fields of knowledge and to understand the nature of an academic community.
- Students will develop a critical understanding of the self and its relation to society and the world.
- Students will develop a critical understanding of their own commitments regarding ethics and aesthetics.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in critical thinking.
- Students will write accomplished academic prose.
- Students will produce an original master's thesis or project that considers or transcends disciplinary boundaries.