History and Overview of the School of Engineering
Headquartered in Bannow Science Center, the School of Engineering has laboratory and instructional facilities in this building as well as specialized laboratories and project implementation space in McAuliffe Hall, the "historic home" of the School of Engineering on Fairfield University.
The Fairfield School of Engineering is the continuation of the Bridgeport Engineering Institute after a merger in 1994 resulted in the formation of the BEI School of Engineering at Fairfield University. The Bridgeport Engineering Institute was founded in 1924 with the mission of delivering quality engineering education to the citizens of southern Connecticut. The presently named "School of Engineering" at Fairfield University has grown from the original Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering programs in 1994 to its current accredited bachelor of science degrees in Computer, Electrical, Mechanical and Software Engineering along with one unaccredited bachelor's degree in Automated Manufacturing Engineering. Dual BS/MS degrees now exist in Software as well as Electrical and Computer Engineering with Mechanical Engineering anticipated in 2014. An additional Masters Degree in Management of Technology is also administered through the school.