GSEAP - Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to take the GREs (Graduate Record Exam) to be admitted?

No. The GREs are not required for admission to any of the programs offered by the Graduate School of Education and Allied Professions.

Will I need to take any entrance test(s)?

Yes - if seeking admission to programs leading to an initial educator certification and graduate degree, you will need to pass the Praxis I PPST or waive it. (See specifics below under certification questions.)

No - if seeking the M.A. degree or C.A.S. degree only, no entrance test is required.

What is a certification program?

A program that leads to Connecticut State Department of Education certification as a classroom teacher or a school support professional (such as a school psychologist or school counselor or school media specialist).

What is a non-certification program?

Programs like the one in Marriage and Family Therapy or Clinical Mental Health Counseling or Applied Psychology are considered non-certification programs since they do not lead to state certification. However, Marriage and Family Therapy AND Clinical Mental Health Counseling programs do lead, with the M.A. degree and additional clinical experience, to Connecticut licensure.

When are classes offered?

Most classes are offered Monday through Thursday evenings from 4:45-6:45 p.m. and 7:15-9:15 p.m. Some classes are offered on weekends. Very few professional classes are offered during the day.

How long will it take me to complete a certification or degree program?

This depends on how many courses you take each term. A part-time graduate student takes 1 to 2 courses per semester while a full-time student must take 3 or more courses. Most courses are 3 credits each. The time to completion also depends on how many credits are required for the program. Both certification and degree requirements vary by program.

How many credits are required for degree and/or certification?

A minimum of 33 credits is generally required for graduation for the MA degree and 30 credits for the CAS (Sixth Year) degree; some programs require more credits for the MA, such as the Counselor Education Program (48 credits) or the Marriage and Family Therapy Program (57 credits). State educator certification credit requirements vary with the certification desired. It is possible to complete the certification and degree programs concurrently or separately.

Is there a time limit to complete a degree program?

Students need to complete all degree requirements and file an application for graduation within six years from the date of enrollment in the first course completed for credit toward the degree

Can credits taken elsewhere be transferred to a degree and or degree/certification program at Fairfield University?

For certification programs, as many as six credits may be transferred if they relate to the candidate's present program. For non-certification programs, as many as nine credits may be transferred if they relate to the candidate's present program. Documentation (e.g., syllabus, course description, work done) to demonstrate the equivalence or quality of the courses for which transfer credit is requested may be required.

Note: The total number of credits earned before formal admission to a program (i.e., the total number of transfer credits plus any credits earned as a non-matriculated student) may not exceed 6 (six) credits for applicants to certification programs or 9 (nine) credits for applicants to non-certification programs.

Have other questions? - Contact or call (203) 254-4250.

Visit Fairfield University Fact Book

About Us →

Admission & Aid →

Academics →

Life at Fairfield →

Parents & Families →

Alumni & Friends →

Athletics →