Individually Designed Major - Requirements
The Individually Designed Major requires:
- The major requires a minimum of ten courses.
- The major must be truly interdisciplinary. While there may be a primary department, at least four courses must be taken outside that department.
- The major requires a suitable number of advanced courses.
- The major also requires a senior project (seminar, capstone course, supervised lab, or whatever is appropriate for the relevant disciplines). The purpose of this project is to allow students to pull together the multiple threads of the interdisciplinary major.
- Finally, the major requires that the student maintain a portfolio for the purpose of a reflective review and self-assessment of the progress and changes in direction, if any, of the major. The student will use these materials as part of a progress review with advisors at least once a semester. The student must also submit a final assessment of the major to the Individually Designed Major Committee as a requirement for graduation.
Application form (PDF)