Art History - The Caryatid Project Recommended Resources
Dr. Katherine Schwab and Dana Westrup '10 discuss the hairstylng project.
- Antoniadis, Costis, ed., 2008. The Creative Photograph in Archaeology. Athens, Benaki Museum.
- Bartman, Elizabeth, 2001. "Hair and the Artifice of Roman Female Adornment," American Journal of Archaeology 105:1, 1-25.
- Bartman, Elizabeth, 1999. Portraits of Livia. Imaging the Imperial Woman in Augustan Rome. Cambridge University Press.
- Blomberg, Marilyn, 1985. "Five Greek Gold Earrings in the Medelhavsmuseet," Medelhavsmuseet Bulletin 20, 53-62.
- Harrison, Evelyn B, 1986. "Greek Scupltured Coiffures and Ritual Haircuts," Early Greek Cult Practice: Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium at the Swedish Institute at Athens, 26-29, June, 1986. Eds. R. Hagg, N. Marinatos, G.C. Nordquist, 247-254.
- Hurwit, Jeffrey M., 2004. The Acropolis in the Age of Pericles. Cambridge University Press.
- Lauter, Hans, 1976. Die Koren des Erechtheion. Antike Plastik 16.
- Lee, Mireille, 2000. "Deciphering Gender in Minoan Dress," in Alison Rautman, ed. Reading the Body: Representations and Remains in the Archaeological Record. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Lewis, Sian, 2002. The Athenian Woman. Routledge.
- Levine, Molly Myerowitz, 1995. "The Gendered Grammar of Ancient Mediterranean Hair," in Howard Eilberg-Schwartz and Wendy Doniger, eds. Off with Her Head: The Denial of Women's Identity in Myth, Religion, and Culture. Berkeley, 76-130.
- Llewellyn-Jones, Lloyd, 2003. Aphrodite's Tortoise: The Veiled Woman of Ancient Greece. Swansea.
- Llewellyn-Jones, Lloyd and Sue Blondell, eds. Women's Dress in the Ancient Greek World
- Oakley, John and Rebecca Sinos, 1993. The Wedding in Ancient Athens. University of Wisconsin Press.
- Papanikolaou, Alexander, 1994. "The Restoration of the Erechtheion," in Acropolis Restoration, ed. by Richard Economakis (London, Academy Editions) 136-49.
- Vlassopoulou, Christina, 2006. The Athenian Acropolis: The Monuments and the Museum. Athens.
- The Acropolis Museum
- The Ancient City of Athens: The Acropolis - Erechtheion
- The American School of Classical Studies at Athens, Photographic Collections
- The Parthenon Project
View a clip and to purchase a copy of the DVD The Caryatid Hairstyling Project, produced by the Media Center of Fairfield University
Spring 2013: The Blue Skirt. The Brearley Middle School Paper.
January 13, 2013: "Six Beautiful Maidens: The Korai of the Acropolis Museum." Online interview and article with Marianthi Milona, on National Public Radio of Germany. Listen online or read a transcript.
November, 7, 2012: "Grecian formula: Archeologist unravels the ancient hairdos of the Caryatid" in the Greenwich Citizen
August 20, 2012: Online interview with Marianthi Milona, on National Public Radio of Germany..
Spring 2012: The Blue Skirt. The Brearley Middle School Newspaper
February 9, 2012: Interview with Bill Buschel on "Graffiti," for Hellenic Public Radio
April 17, 2011: Greek News
February, 2011: ARTnews article (PDF) and website
May-July, 2010: Wandering Educator, The National Herald
April 14, 2010: Front page of To Vima in Athens, Greece
April 8, 2010: Press release from Fairfield University