MFA in Creative Writing - Admission
- The Prior Learing Assessment Option
- The $5,000 MFA Fellowship
- Accelerated MFA in Creative Writing (for Fairfield University Undergraduates)
Admission requirements for the MFA in Creative Writing are based on the following criteria:
- A Completed Application for Graduate Admission Form
- Apply online
- Track the status of your application - allow 48 hours from submission
- A Non-refundable $60 Application Fee
- Official transcripts from all universities and colleges attended. (All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an approved evaluating service.) Mail to the University at the address below.
- Two Recommendation Forms and Letters, one of which must be, preferably, from a current employer or supervisor. The recommendations are completed online. At the time of application you will need to provide your two Recommender's names and e-mail addresses.
- Interviews. Applicants may be required to participate in an interview as part of the admission process. If required, candidates will be contacted by the program director to schedule an appointment.
- Sample portfolio. Students will submit online a sample of their work (20-30 pages of fiction, non-fiction, or screenwriting or 6-8 poems).
- Personal statement. Students should describe why they want to be a writer and emphasize their commitment to their craft. While students in the program can work in more than one genre, they should specify which of the three genres they are applying for in their personal statement. Submit online.
Please mail official transcripts to:
Office of Graduate Admission
1073 North Benson Road
Fairfield, CT 06824-5195
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
For the winter residency, please apply for the spring semester.
For the summer residency, please apply for the fall semester.
To be considered for financial aid, Fairfield University requires students to complete a FAFSA form. For further information on financial aid, visit the Office of Financial Aid.
- The Prior Learing Assessment Option: New! The Prior Learning Assessment option offers highly qualified students the opportunity to receive up to one full semester credit for the work they have already written or published. Students receiving the PLA can finish the MFA in three semesters instead of four. Learn more
- The $5,000 MFA Fellowship: The prestigious $5,000 MFA Fellowship will be awarded to the most promising writer in each residency applicant pool. To be considered for this one-time tuition-based award, you must have a complete application (including personal statement and writing sample) filed by the following priority deadlines:
Priority Deadline and Notification Dates:
October 15 for December Residency and November 15 notification
April 15 for July Residency and May 1 notification
For further information or questions, please contact Marianne Gumpper, Director of Graduate Admission.
- Accelerated MFA in Creative Writing (for Fairfield University Undergraduates). The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) has created an accelerated pathway for current, high achieving undergraduate students who are interested in transitioning directly into one of our Master's programs. Learn more.