M.A. in American Studies - FAQs

Q. When are applications due?

A. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Applications are reviewed by the Graduate Admission Committee.

Q. Do I need to take the GREs?

A.The GREs are not required. We do look closely at your academic record and other application materials. Generally, we like to see that you have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. If your GPA is lower than 3.0 but you would like us to consider your application, you may include with your application a statement that explains your GPA and why you are confident you will be able to maintain the required 3.0 GPA in your graduate studies.

Q. How much does it cost?

A. Tuition and fees for Fairfield's graduate programs

Q. Do I have to be a full-time student?

A. Our programs are designed to accommodate students who want to attend part-time because most of our students are working at least part time.  Some of our students attend full time, however.

Q. When are courses offered?

A. Most of our courses are offered in the evening but a few are offered on the weekends, or in one-week, four-week or seven-week formats. Weekday courses generally meet once a week for two hours. We try to offer flexible formats to meet the needs of our students.

Q. What is the average class size?

A. We keep our classes small because they are taught in a seminar format. The maximum class size is 15.

Q. Do I need to have earned an undergraduate degree in American studies to be eligible for admission?

A. Our students come from a variety of undergraduate backgrounds, and we welcome students of ability from all academic and professional backgrounds. Students who hold a bachelor's degree in any field from a regionally accredited college or university (or the international equivalent) are encouraged to apply.

For students who attend part-time, the time will vary based on how many courses are taken at a time. Students who attend full-time take 9 credits each semester and can complete the program in a year and a half.

All students are required to complete their degree within five years after they begin their first course.

Q. What financial aid is available?

A. To be considered for financial aid, Fairfield University requires students to complete a FAFSA form. For further information on financial aid, visit the Office of Financial Aid.

Q. Are graduate assistantships available?

A. A limited number of part- and full-time University assistantships are available to assist promising and deserving students.

Q. Whom do I call if I have questions?

A. For information about admission, contact gradadmis@fairfield.edu. For information about the program, contact Dr. Peter Bayers, Program Director.

About Us →

Admission & Aid →

Academics →

Life at Fairfield →

Parents & Families →

Alumni & Friends →

Athletics →