"Collaborations for Empowerment & Learning" - May 29, 2015
Save the date for the 14th Annual Summer Conference
on Innovative Pedagogy & Course Redesign
at Fairfield University!
This one-day conference will be held on May 29 at Fairfield University in partnership with the New England Faculty Development Consortium (NEFDC) and Fairfield University's Center for Academic Excellence. The featured keynote presentation will be given by Dr. Katie Novak. Learn more about Dr. Novak and her interactive keynote below.
Our fourteenth Annual Conference celebrates and showcases excellence and innovations in all areas of teaching, faculty support and development, the scholarship of teaching and learning, and community-engaged teaching and scholarship.
We see this annual conference as an opportunity to learn from each other, to build connections and collaborations, and to reflect upon the meaning and impact of our work as educators and scholars.
We welcome you to Fairfield University's beautiful campus, and to our time together as colleagues and friends.
The New England Faculty Development Consortium (NEFDC) and Fairfield University's Center for Academic Excellence (CAE) welcome proposals for interactive workshops, teaching tips and poster sessions related to the conference theme of collaborations for empowerment and learning.
Topics for presentations might include, but are not limited to:
- Innovative Pedagogies
- Interdisciplinary Collaborations / Partnerships in Higher Education
- Integration of Technology in the Classroom
- Universal Design for Learning
- Community-Engaged Scholarship
To submit a proposal:
- Review the guidelines for submitting proposals (PDF)
- Download and complete the Proposal Submission Template available online (Word .doc)
- Submit via email by March 6, 2015 to the proposal chair, Eric Matte, at email@example.com, with the subject line "NEFDC Spring 2015 Proposal."
Note: Proposals will be blind-reviewed by a committee consisting of NEFDC Board members and CAE staff.
|8:00 - 9:00||Registration and Continental Breakfast|
|9:00 - 9:15||Welcome and Introductions|
|9:15 - 11:15||Interactive Keynote Presentation
"UDL Immersion Experience"
Dr. Katie Novak
|11:30 - 12:25||Concurrent Session 1|
|12:30 - 1:30||Lunch|
|1:35 - 2:30||Concurrent Session 2|
|2:35 - 2:45||Break|
|2:45 - 3:40||Concurrent Session 3|
|3:40 - 5:00||Poster Session
Wine and Cheese Reception
Early Bird Rates
Participants have the option to register online and pay by credit card or register by mail and pay by check.
- To register and pay by credit card - click here (you will be brought to a TouchNet page).
- To register and pay by check (individual or institutional) - click here to download the PDF form to complete and mail in.
Directions to campus.
All conference sessions held in the Dolan School of Business building on the campus of Fairfield University.
- For information about getting to Fairfield University by car, train, or plane.
- For information about transportation and parking.
- Resources to plan your visit: area hospitality.
Fairfield University is accessible via transportation from New York area and Hartford / New Haven, Conn.
Hotel accommodations are available through the Best Western Blackrock Inn
Located at 100 Kings Highway Cutoff, Fairfield, CT 06824.
A conference rate is available for Thursday, May 28, 2015 for single queens at $99.99 (or double queens at $119.99).
- To make a reservation: call the hotel at 1-866-922-ROCK and mention the "Fairfield University Conference"
- Note: reservations must be made by May 10 to receive the special conference rate. Limited rooms are available, so make your reservations soon!
Katie Novak is currently the Assistant Superintendent of the Groton-Dunstable Regional School District in Massachusetts. With 12 years of teaching experience at the secondary, college, and graduate level, and an earned doctorate in curriculum and teaching from Boston University, Katie designs and presents workshops both nationally and internationally focusing on implementation of Universal Design for Learning (UDL). Katie is also the author of best-selling book on inclusive education: UDL Now! A Tteacher’s Monday Morning Guide to Common Core Implementation using Universal Design for Learning, published by CAST Professional Publishing (2014) and the forthcoming book, UDL in the Cloud, co-authored by Tom Thibodeau, which presents the need for UDL in higher education and offers concrete strategies for implementation (2015).
Interactive Keynote: May 29
"Universal Design for Learning (UDL) Immersion Experience"
The brain research is compelling; the premise, career-changing, but what does it feel like to be a student in a UDL classroom? Come find out! In this session, higher education faculty will experience how even the most mundane topics can set the room abuzz when curriculum is planned without the presence of traditional barriers. Between each mini-lesson, faculty will receive concrete tips to help them implement UDL in their own learning environments, whether they are face-to-face or online. This keynote is perfect for attendees who want to see how the research translates into a challenging and unforgettable experience for all learners.