Dr. Janie L. Leatherman
Professor of Politics & International Studies
o: Donnarumma Hall Rm 202
- 2010 The International Education Faculty Achievement Award, recognizing extraordinary achievement in Curricular Development and Preparation of Global Citizens. Conferred upon Janie Leatherman, Fairfield University by the International Association of University Presidents.
- 2000 Golden Key International Society Honorary Member, Illinois State University.
- 1993 Introduction to International Relations course syllabus singled out by Alfredo Robles, Jr. in his review of the APSA Collection of International Relations Syllabi (edited by Linda Brady), "How International Are International Relations Syllabi?" PS: Political Science and Politics (September): 526-528.
- 1991 Course Syllabus for Introduction to International Relations selected for inclusion in the APSA's Political Science Course Syllabi Collection edited by Linda Brady, for "its clear educational objectives," related to readings, tests, exercises and papers, "its multiple learning tools and techniques," and "introduction of fundamental concepts associated with the analysis of international relations."
- 1987-1988 Fulbright-Hayes and American Scandinavian Foundation Dissertation and Travel Grants. Dissertation Fellow, University of Helsinki, Department of Political Science, Helsinki, Finland. $15, 000
- 1987 Ph.D. Comprehensive Examinations with Distinction, Univ. of Denver.
- 1985-1986 Federal Republic of Germany Fellowship. Department of Political Science, and Tübingen Peace Research Group, University of Tübingen. Travel , tuition, room, and monthly stipend.
- 1983-1991 John Allen Fellowship, unnamed fellowships, and graduate assistantships, GSIS, University of Denver.
- 2009-2010 “Responsible Global Citizenship.” Association of American Universities and Colleges, Theory to Practice Grant, $5000.
- 2008 "Critical Pedagogy and Course Development in International Studies." Humanities Institute Grant College of Arts and Science, Fairfield University. $16,000.
- 2008 "Challenges of Global Politics" Service Learning Grant. Center for Faith and Public Life, Fairfield University. $3500.
- 2007 "Challenges to Global Authority." Summer Research Grant. Fairfield University. $3500.
- 2007-2010 Critical Languages/Area Studies Eurasia Initiative. U.S. Department of Education. Office of Post-Secondary Education. Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language Program, 2007-2009 November 17. Fairfield University International Studies Program, Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, Russian and East European Studies Program, Asian Studies Program. Co-investigator: $175,000 (with $200,000 matching.
- 2002 International Studies Association Workshop Grant. "Confronting Global Arrogance: Transnational Movements and Global Democracy." Principle Investigator with Dr. Julie Webber: $5000
- 2002 United States Agency for International Development. "Community Action Plan--Macedonia, Training Program," prepared with the Stevenson Center and ISU' Management Development International to the World Learning Institute. $35, 000