Our Catholic and Jesuit Mission and Identity
During the last 50 years, Jesuit universities have entered the mainstream of American academic life. Faculty achievements and alumni accomplishments have earned Catholic colleges and universities a respected place in the landscape of higher education.
This is especially true at Jesuit universities which have embraced the virtues of critical academic rigor and unprejudiced scrutiny of evidence toward the pursuit of truth and social justice.
Fairfield University is one of twenty-eight Universities and Colleges founded by the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) in the United States. To learn more about the Society of Jesus please visit one of the following websites. For the New England Province and its various ministries, www.sjnen.org. For the national office of the Jesuits, www.jesuit.org. To learn more about a Jesuit vocation, www.jesuitvocation.org.
Fairfield's University Plan places Jesuit and Catholic Mission and Identity at its center and 4 major objectives have been identified:
- The facilitation and continued integration of all programs and activities related to our Jesuit and Catholic Mission
- An intellectual and spiritual investigation of the Catholic and Jesuit heritage
- A link from this heritage to real world issues of social justice so critical to the teachings of the Church
- An innovative program specifically for students to examine their sense of calling and mission in their personal lives and career choices
Among the initiatives that have been established to support the objectives:
- Chair in Catholic Studies
- Center for Faith and Public Life
- The Ignatian Residential College
For more information on our Jesuit identity contact:
Dr. Nancy Dallavalle, associate professor of religious studies and University Facilitator for Mission and Identity at NDallavalle@fairfield.edu
Dr. Thomas Pellegrino, vice president of student affairs and University Coordinator for Mission and Identity at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rev. Paul Holland, S.J., Rector of the Fairfield Jesuit Community at email@example.com