- Jesuit Roots Understand the Jesuit roots and directives behind developing globally-aware citizens of the world.
- Academic Integration Learn how Fairfield is integrating globalization across the schools and disciplines.
- Cultural Programs Explore the plethora of global citizenship events throughout Fairfield's academic and cultural offerings.
- Get Involved Find out ways to become more involved through our global citizenship contacts.
"If a man be gracious to strangers, it shows that he is a citizen of the world, and his heart is no island, cut off from other islands, but a continent that joins them." - Francis Bacon
As a Jesuit institution, Fairfield University's adherence to Ignatian spirituality and pedagogy involves developing a vision of the world that is holistic and balances intellectual, emotional, and spiritual understandings and responses. By drawing on all of these rich resources, students are encouraged to seek the essential value in everything and cultivate a passion for justice. Toward this end, Fairfield University is orienting itself toward the education and formation of global citizens.
Global citizens are good problem solvers, able to function in culturally unfamiliar environments, value engagement in civic culture, seek social justice, and maintain a holistic world view grounded in the unifying value of humanity. With this in mind, Fairfield has adopted its current singular area of focus as Global Citizenship.
Global Citizenship is aligned with Fairfield's mandate to:
- Prepare all members of its community to reflect humbly on our privileges
- Use creative means to connect with others
- Seek experiences that allow for the application and expansion of knowledge gained in the classroom
- Recognize the value inherent in striving to transform society for the greater good
This initiative is the result of many discussions across the University during the past 2 years. University President, Jeffrey von Arx, S.J., has charged the campus community to organize courses and to "coordinate important lectures, concerts, gallery installations, symposia, festivals, recitals, etc. in a coherent fashion, so that the University may realize the full value of these events for our students, faculty, staff, and our external audiences."
Fairfeld University is at an exciting juncture concerning global education and social justice. By integrating the vision of globalization at every level of the institution, Fairfield explicitly orients itself toward the education and formation of global citizens - an education that crosses all borders and can influence generations.